Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2010 21:00

Windows 7 and audio driver uninstallation...

Hi,

I've read enough posts to know that Windows 7 and my Creative Soundblaster Audigy Advanced MB aren't compatible.  However, there has to be some driver that will work.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I tried a Sigmatel driver, which didn't work.  However, I can't seem to uninstall it, remove it from the registry, remove the files, etc.  Heck, (although ideally I'd like something better) I'd settle for the generic Microsoft Windows 7 sound driver.  The problem is that now whenever I try to scan for changes, it keeps finding the non-working Sigmatel driver.  I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2010 09:00

When you go to the device manager, right click to hilight the entry for whatever sound you have now whether it has an error or not. Then Left click "uninstall" and then you should get an option to uninstall the drivers also.

XP drivers are not complatible with Vista/Win 7 as some sound functions are handled differently.

HERE is the Dell Vista 32/64 driver and it5 should work wihout problems since Win 7 is basically Vista "improved".

Before you install this sound driver (after you do the uninstall I noted for ehatever you have now) first install the Intel Chipset driver, even if you've installed it before. On a new install the chipset drivers MUST be installed before installing the sound drivers.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2010 06:00

First, the Soundblaster audigy advanced MB is ONLY a software enhancement (add on) to the integrated audio. The integrated audio works well without the extra Soundblaster add on. 

As you haven't included your PC model and which Win 7 bit version I can't comment on what sound driver that may work. Usually, with integrated audio the only one that all functions work is the Dell supplied.  A few models can use non-Dell drivers but only a few.  Many that upgrade to Win 7 that does not have Dell drivers disable the integrated audio and install a separate sound card that is Win 7 compatible. 

However, to uninstall whatever you have installed now, go to the Device Manager and uninstall whatever sound you have now and also check the box to also uninstall the driver. That will get rid of whatever you have installed.

20 Posts

June 4th, 2010 07:00

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply.  Here are some specs I gathered from Dell's support app:

General:

My computer:

Operating system - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x32)

Computer and user information:

Model - Dimension 9150/XPS400
  BIOS version - A07
  BIOS date - 01/08/07

Hardware:

Sound devices - Information not found.

When I go in to the device manager to uninstall the driver, it only gives me the option to disable it or uninstall it.  There's no checkbox anywhere.

I went to the driver download page, entered my service tag and it displayed a list of audio drivers, which did include a Windows 7 driver.  However, when I try to install it, I get a message that basically says that it's incompatible, can't detect my soundcard, etc.  < I'm sorry, but I've tried so many things that I can't recall the exact message.

20 Posts

June 4th, 2010 07:00

(additional info)

If I recall correctly, from when I was still using XP, part of my sound was a Sigmatel driver, but again, the driver on Dell's page doesn't want to work :(

20 Posts

June 4th, 2010 11:00

Wow! 

After days of pulling my hair out, you gave me instructions that actually worked!  I can't express how much I appreciate your help.  I thought I'd never get my sound back.

Thank you SO much! :emotion-2:

No Events found!