Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 20th, 2014 08:00

Windows 8.1 computer does not recognize my camera

Oh how I hate windows 8.1!

I have a Nikon Coolpix camera that is only a couple years old. I plug it into a USB port on the back of the tower and it does not show up anywhere on my computer now. It did at first but for some reason no longer. I just don't understand. Can someone please help me.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 12:00

1. What PC model?
  2. Is camera still recognized when connected to USB on some other PC?
  3. Is a some other USB device recognized when connected to the same USB port on this PC?
  4. Have you tried a different USB port?
  5. Have you tried a different USB cable?

8 Posts

January 20th, 2014 19:00

I have a Inspiron 660s, just purchased in October 2013.  The camera will work on my Windows 7 and on my iMac.  I contacted Nikon and they had me download the software but still does not show up.  Yes I have tried different USB Ports to no avail. Yes I can put something else in the same ports and they work. Its just the camera,  No did not try a different USB cable, since it will work on my other computers I don't think its the cable. 

Couple weeks ago someone from Microsoft worked on my computer remotely and ever since my camera has not worked on that computer. I am so so frustrated that I am about ready to throw this computer out the window. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 20:00

Microsoft worked remotely on your system?? That sounds very odd to me. Are you sure they really were Microsoft and not some hackers? What was the problem they were supposed to be fixing when they remoted into your PC?

Did you scan thoroughly for malware after 'whoever' worked on your system?

If it really was MS who worked on your system, maybe you need to contact them again and let them fix the problem they caused...

And be careful who you let access your system!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 20th, 2014 21:00

Couple weeks ago someone from Microsoft worked on my computer remotely and ever since my camera has not worked on that computer. I am so so frustrated that I am about ready to throw this computer out the window.

Why was someone from Microsoft working on your computer? Are you sure they were from Microsoft and not someone malicious pretending to be a Microsoft employee?

How did you get Windows 8 from Dell with your PC or from Microsoft separately. Microsoft should not remote connect to someone with an OEM license.

I would recommend clean installation of Windows 8.1 to do this you need installation media however. See my Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

Some additional workarounds for the OEM install:

Some additional workarounds for the retail install:

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

Hi verna2197,

In order to help you better, please answer a few more questions.

We need to get a clear picture of the sequence of events. Did Nikon tell you that the camera software would be compatible with 8.1? Have you seen this discussion?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures/nikon-camera-transfer-is-now-incompatable-with-the/a5f45243-026c-4b55-a81d-321347381453

As I understand it, you contacted Microsoft after your tech call with Nikon.
As Ron asked, why did you contact Microsoft? From where did you obtain Microsoft's tech support phone number? 

8 Posts

January 21st, 2014 09:00

yes I contacted Microsoft. I wanted the Microsoft sign in and password taken off my computer and could not figure it out. I have the website to their help desk the telephone number to call them and the case id number. 

They did fix my computer to where I do not have to use a Microsoft account anymore.

8 Posts

January 21st, 2014 09:00

as stated in a previous comment I wanted the Microsoft account link taken off my computer.  I am seriously looking at purchasing Windows 7, and taking windows 8.1 off. 

My new tower came with Windows 8 I knew then I should't purchase it but I thought I know computers can't be that hard. Yeah right, now I see why everyone hates it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 21st, 2014 10:00

Install Classic Shell (free) or Start8 (free try, $5 to keep). They'll make Win 8.1 behave like Win 7 and you won't have to deal with all the nonsense in Win 8/8.1.

Or, if you have Win 8.1 Pro, you should be entitled to a free downgrade to Win 7.

No Events found!