Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2007 13:00

Windows Configuration Error

Hello Everyone, I am trying to flash the BIOS on my Dell Dimension 4600 and I am getting a "Windows Configuration Error" Contact Technical support if this occurs again message. My Current Bios is A02 and the latest available is A12. Please Help! Thanks and have a Nice Day!

9.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2007 13:00

Is there a reason you want to update the BIOS?  Since there is always a slight risk when updating the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I suspect your system is.  In the event you need a newer BIOS update for a planned hardware upgrade or to correct a problem you are having then by all means a BIOS update is necessary.

If you still wish to update the BIOS then try disconnecting all unneeded USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse.  Also close out all unneed applications running in the background.  Either of those two items can cause a problem with the BIOS update.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2007 20:00

Thank you for your response. I wanted to update the BIOS because when I have the machine to wake up from SLEEP mode it hangs ( I have to shut down the machine when not in use and give it a fresh boot everytime), this error has been updated in the latest BIOS. Also what is the recourse if the BIOS fails to update and the machine goes blank. Can I restore the old BIOS without DELL tech support? I am booting into the Administrator Profile on Safe Mode to install BIOS. Appreciate your help.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2007 22:00

@Majestic wrote:
Is there a reason you want to update the BIOS?  Since there is always a slight risk when updating the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I suspect your system is.  In the event you need a newer BIOS update for a planned hardware upgrade or to correct a problem you are having then by all means a BIOS update is necessary.

If you still wish to update the BIOS then try disconnecting all unneeded USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse.  Also close out all unneed applications running in the background.  Either of those two items can cause a problem with the BIOS update.

Updated to A12 BIOS. Thanks for your help.

9.4K Posts

March 4th, 2007 13:00

You're welcome.  Glad to hear the upgrade was a success.

54 Posts

March 26th, 2007 08:00

Hi kittu
I have the same problem too on my XPS 700 new BIOS flash.  I did try unplug all the usb and close all the application.  But no luck, I'll be very happy if you can teach me how you done it.  I'm currently running on Vista 64bit.

Thank you!!

December 21st, 2008 12:00

HI

Although this is an old post I thought I would add some revelance to it so more people could fix their problems.

The suggestion to unplug USB devices and quit all other unused programs is fine but does not help the novice (Like Me) trying to fix the problem.

What I found to fix the Bios Update  error "Windows Configuration Error" was to

1 Run MSConfig

2 Open Services and click "Hide all MS Services"

3 Click "Disable all Services" This will require a Restart. On startup I was then able to run the Bios Update.

Reverse the procedure to Enable your Services. It worked for me.

Dell needs a better search system. The 3 main words in my search were in this question but it was listed on page 3 instead of page 1. WHY 

10 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 13:00

You can also run utility program called AUTORUNS and check for a DELL registry entry to see if a failed or stuck DELL BIOS update is pending in the registry that did not complete for some reason. You'll see DELL BIOS in the description field. That's what happened to be. It was looking for a file that the USER file area that it couldn't find. After I deleted the entry, the DELL BIOS update utility program ran correctly without the error message.

March 10th, 2017 13:00

I've also run into this error on Windows 7 64-bit:

Windows Configuration Error

An error was encountered trying to configure Windows to

allow flashing, please reboot and try again. If this error

re-occurs, please contact technical help.

Working Solution:

Even from Command Prompt this happened in safe mode, below I've posted a short video of what I did to get past the issue. Basically, I had to remove all the extra hardware on my machine, close all the other programs, and re-run the .exe files for my Dell Optiplex 330, which I downloaded from the Driver Downloads section of my Service Tag ID PC area.

Here is the video URL that shows what I ran into and how I fixed/updated my BIOS:

www.youtube.com/watch

1 Message

April 4th, 2017 04:00

hey bro, i watched your video but what did you do after 2 trial error, time on your video 4:00 - 4:50

No Events found!