Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2010 14:00

Windows Media Player (WMP12) Crashes / Locks Up Dell XPS 8000

I really love WMP12 but I've noticed that sometimes when either skipping songs quickly the program will cause Windows 7 to freeze / crash / lock up.  Is this a common problem with this system?  Anyone else having similar issues?  I have the Realtek HD Audio drivers installed that came with the machine, but maybe they need an update of some sort?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 11th, 2010 03:00

There has not been anything posted about problems like you are having that I've seen with WMP12 except the majority on the Windows 7 forum, including myself, do not like it compared to WMP11.  The problem would not be sound driver related, if anything, it would be Operating System or memory related.

There is a known Microsoft issue with WMP12 and playing DVD's after resuming from "Sleep".  I don't know if that is related to your problem but check out THIS from Microsoft.

February 11th, 2010 05:00

Yeah I let mine sleep a lot.  Thanks, I guess I'll have to wait and see what develops.  99% of the time WMP works fine.  12 doesn't seem much different than 11, but I notice a few small improvements like when you hit the "delete" key it actually deletes the song from the hard drive, just as if it were a file.  If 11 will run on Windows 7 and has that same feature, I would have no problems downgrading it just to see if that resolves the issue.

No Events found!