Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 3rd, 2013 15:00

Windows XP computer won't wake up

Hi, I've been using my computer for years without a problem when all of a sudden 2 weeks ago, it won't wake up from sleep and whines loudly when playing a simple game. I am running windows xp, version 5.1.2600 service pack 3 build 2600,Inspiron 530, processor x86 Family 6 model 15 stepping 13 genuineintel ~1995 mhz, and have plenty of memory left. I can't figure this out and have been trying to fix the problem for 2 weeks. Please, any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I don't know much about the workings of a computer.

Thanks, Darlyn

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 17:00

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load.

Go to Utilities partition and run all the hardware diagnostics. Hard drive and memory tests may take a very long time so be patient. Write down any error messages you may receive.

Whining noise might be a fan or even a failing hard drive, so be sure to back everything up on external media (eg, external hard drive, DVDs, etc) asap just to be safe.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2013 19:00

Thank you RoHe, I went into BIOS and ran the diagnostics and only came up with two errors: Error Code 1100:012A

Msg: Diskette the driver did not respond in a fixed time to an access attempt and 1100:042A with the same message. I have no idea what that means or how to correct it. I do appreciate your help though.

Darlyn

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 4th, 2013 20:00

You didn't go into BIOS to run the diagnostics. You ran them from a hidden partition on the hard drive. :emotion-5:

You'd get that error about the diskette drive if you didn't have a floppy disk in the drive. So you might want to run that diskette drive test again with a formatted floppy in the drive.

So the question is still about noise.  I'd back up on external media asap in case the hard drive is making the noise. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and very gently check that the CPU fan and video card fan (if it has a video card fan) are free of dust and their blades turn freely. Use canned air to blow out all the dust bunnies from all fans, CPU heat sink (caution: heat sink may be HOT!) and case air vents. Make sure the 4 screws holding the heat sink in place are tight, but do NOT loosen them. Also check that wires or cables not are hitting any fan blades.

If you're careful you might boot up with the case open to see if you can find out where the noise is coming from. It might be the heat sink fan, video card fan or power supply fan or a drive.

After you fix the noise issue, then you can work on the wake issue, which might be software and unrelated to the noise. Aside from not waking (and the noise) does it cold boot normally and work ok?

3 Posts

May 7th, 2013 11:00

I removed the cover and shot out about a pound of dust. It didn't do any good though. Still sounding like it's struggling when playing a game, like something else major is running in the background. It might be time to restore to factory if I can find the disk. Sometimes it will boot up on the first try other times it just whines loudly and I have to try again. I also noticed my google homepage is not going to the page I have set. I think I have a virus or something. Thanks for taking the time to work with me. I'm glad I found this forum. Darlyn

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2013 13:00

This sounds like malware. You have a few options, one being a rescue disk you can put together if you have access to a "clean" computer. Another is a clean install of XP.

If your operating system is XP Home, seeing as support for XP is ending within a year, this would be a wonderful time to clean-install Windows 7 Home Premium. That would knock out the malware infestation immediately, after which you could use the free Microsoft Security Essentials to clean out your infected data files.

You can download a Windows 7 install disc ISO from Digital River to a clean computer, burn it to DVD and use it to install. Once installed, you can use it for up to thirty days without activating; if you don't like it, you can revert to XP.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2013 15:00

I removed the cover and shot out about a pound of dust.

Dust can also build up behind the front bezel; it's worth removing and checking behind if you can.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 7th, 2013 15:00

Be sure to back up all your personal files on external hard drive, CDs, or DVDs before reinstalling XP or upgrading to a different OS.  Keep in mind that you will have to purchase a license for Win 7 if you decide to upgrade.

You might want to start a thread on www.spywarehammer.com. The experts there can help you scan for and remove malware for free. Many of the people over there also help out here so mention you were sent there from here. You might even include a link to this thread in your first post there.

Be sure to read/follow the instructions on the spywarehammer home page about how to start a thread.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 7th, 2013 19:00

Hi Darlyn,

I think I have a virus or something.

If I were you, I'd try RoHe's suggestion. If you post the required DDS logs on the Malware Removal Forum at SpywareHammer the staff trained in malware removal will walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup.  They will also let you know what security software needs to be updated. They do not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. Please do not attempt to run any additional scans, install software, or use any other tools until an analyst can advise you on the next step. Please use the same username there as you have here. Help is free, but you will need to register there and follow the posting instructions.

The instructions will inform you of where to download DDS and how to run a scan to post the output information. Don't forget to check your email and click on the link they send you in order to confirm your registration.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 8th, 2013 11:00

Darlyn,

Your membership at SpywareHammer was approved yesterday shortly after you registered. Staff is waiting for your post. They will evaluate hardware and software issues.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 13th, 2013 01:00

Some additional resources if you are wanting to install Windows 7 64 Bit on the Inspiron 530 which is recommended.

See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

Step 1b use the Digital River .iso and purchase a Windows 7 license or use the media with your purchased Windows 7 license directly. Step 1a and Step 1c don't apply to this system. I would recommend using the Digital River .iso without a product key to evaluate the performance of Windows 7 for 30 days before purchasing a license. If you follow my instructions and still have the same symptom it is not a OS/Virus issue.

Step 2 and 3a is recommended however if your Windows XP is unstable you may instead follow the instructions on page 412 and back your data up using a Linux bootable CD.

Step 3b isn't recommended as your current install has a problem.

Use the following Drivers here at Step 4 and 5:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4667.inspiron-530-windows-7-64-bit.aspx

Step 6 and Step 7b doesn't apply to this system.

Step 7a is recommended and will remove everything on the hard drive including Malware.

Step 8 and 9 and 10 follow them.

Step 11c or 11d will apply for you regarding Microsoft Product Activation

Step 12 carry out the check.

Step 13 recommended.

Step 14a, e doesn't apply to your system.

Step 15 won't apply as I recommended you to carry out Step 7a.

Step 16 you should carry out.

Step 17 you may have done this earlier with the drivers (optional/recommended but take care)

Step 18 and 19 are optional.

Step 20 is optional but recommended.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 13th, 2013 05:00

This member's issue was handled and resolved at SpywareHammer's Malware Removal Forum. http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php/topic,14379.0.html
[Note: URL will change when topic is archived.]

This topic at Dell Community can be closed.

No Events found!