Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2011 09:00

Windows XP driver for Dell Optiplex 390

Greetings

I have two pcs Dell Optiplex 390, for compatibility with some apps i need to install windows XP in those machines, but the audio dont work.

I tried firts with the driver in the Dell Driver cd but the software says something that "Dont found the hardware" and the same situation with the driver in the Dell Download Page.

I have windows xp sp2 in english installed in these machine.

Please help.

6.4K Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

Was the audio working when you had the computers working on the previous operating system?  If not, have you gone to System Setup (F2 during the Dell logo after starting the computer) and made sure that the integrated audio is enabled?

In order for all the device drivers to install properly it is necessary to follow a particular installation order.  The Dell System Software found in the System Utilities category on the support page, and the Intel Chipset Driver in the Chipset category must be the first drivers installed and in the given order.  The remainder are not as order critical, but Dell recommends you follow the first two drivers with those for the Video, Network, and Sound adapters.  Once you reach the sound adapter you will find on-screen directions that should be followed.  There are two files, the one labeled "Hard Drive" being the most straightforward.

8 Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

Yes the audio was working with Windows 7 SP1.

I make the procedure in this form:

- install the chipset driver

- install the network driver

- install the video driver

- try to install the audio driver

Ok i am going to install Dell System Software.

Greetings

72 Posts

October 5th, 2011 04:00

fjj

1 Message

June 19th, 2012 14:00

were you able to run optiplex 390 on XP? i am planning on buying 390.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2012 10:00

XP is supported on the Optiplex 390

Chipset Drivers Must be installed First.

Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®
Chipset_Driver_R73F7_WN32_7.0.0.1144_A01.EXE
Update Packages for Windows can be used as a stand-alone application to apply an update and ensure that specific validation criteria are met before performing the update.

Hard-Drive
INTEL_UNIFIED-7-MANAGEMENT-I_A01_R300750_ZPE.exe
This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.

DRVR_WIN_R292027.EXE

Hard-Drive
NEC_USB-3-0_A01_R292027.exe

DRVR_WIN_R293337.EXE

Hard-Drive
Intel_Chipset-Software-Insta_A02_R293337.exe

File Name: Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®
UTIL_WIN_R304257.EXE

Hard-Drive
Intel_Identity-Protection-Te_A03_R304257.exe

OP390_DRVR_WIN_R307709.EXE
Update Packages for Windows can be used as a stand-alone application to apply an update and ensure that specific validation criteria are met before performing the update. See the Dell Update Package User's Guide for more information.

Hard-Drive
CONEXANT_AUDIO--CX20641-CX20_A02_R307709.exe
This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.

8 Posts

June 20th, 2012 14:00

Hello

Thank you for the response.

I installed XP and the audio drivers long time ago, the issue is caused by the order of the drivers that you install first. Yes the chipset package its first and the dell package of drivers second, then you can install the conexant audio driver package and the hardware is recognized.

Greetings

1 Message

September 12th, 2012 23:00

i try this  with xp sp2 but can't install also..

565 Posts

September 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I understand that you are trying to install the audio drivers on the computer. Please confirm if I got it correct.

Please provide if there is an error message when installing the drivers.

Also let me know if the computer model is an OptiPlex 390?

Please reply with the information.

1 Message

October 5th, 2012 07:00

I am joining this thread because the post date is the most recent I have found on this issue.

I have more than eight of these Optiplex 390 machines installed and running XP SP3. Some have working souund, some don't.

I had sound working on all but one at one point. Loading the driver after BIOS/chipset drivers had no effect - I always loaded sound last.

The drivers were loaded from Resource disks and fresh downloads from dell support. Microsoft.com's Fixit program worked Once, but doesn't work any more.

Control Panel and error messages all say there is no sound device in the computer. Device Manager shows audio codecs and legacy devices.

The bios setting/miscellaneous devices show no motherboard device to enable/disable.

I have 2 machines presently with no sound, that had sound for a while - the machines were moved and different monitors, mice and keyboards were attached - no other changes were made.

I have an Optiplex 390 small form factor (only 1) that never had sound - I resorted to using an external USB sound device on this machine.

There is no Conexant HD sound driver readily available for the Optiplex 390 - to use with Windows XP.

A lot of businesses are using this model as recommended by DELL, for XP compatibility. DELL should address this issue.

I hope this information is useful.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 13th, 2012 11:00

There is no conexant HD audio driver because the board revision you have may have something else.

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio is the correct driver.

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R127208.EXE

1 Message

August 23rd, 2013 07:00

I too have an Optiplex 390, Win XP SP2.  While I tried installing the Connexant Audio, it was not recognized as others here have posted.  I installed the Sigmatel driver above, which did not work, but at least caused the "unknown PCI device" to become a "HD audio bus" with missing driver.  Once that occurred I was able to install the Connexant HD audio driver and I now have sound!  Thank you!  Hope this helps someone...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 09:00

Chipset - Driver

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.8.1.1.1010, A01
Software support for Intel Chipsets.
Recommended 8.1.1.1010 11/30/2006 Windows Vista 64-bit
Windows Vista 32-bit
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.8.0.0.1009, A15
Software support for Intel Chipsets.
Urgent 8.0.0.1009 7/28/2006 Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows XP x64

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Chipset Drivers are REQUIRED BEFORE installing PCI Devices.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

http://ftp.us.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/precision-390.html

Chipset Drivers are Required for PCI Devices to enumerate properly.

No Events found!