Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2008 20:00

Windows won't detect Primary and Secondary Ide Controllers

Ok, I was following the thread on a "primary ide controller (dual fefo) code=10" problem, and, when it said to delete the pci bus master ide controller (hence, both the primary and secondary), I did. The problem was that I didn't do it in safe mode. Now, windows refuses to detect and install the primary or secondary ide controllers, and only shows the floppy drive in device manager. For some reason, the os still boots. How do I get windows to detect the primary and secondary ide controllers again?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 13th, 2008 23:00

You need to post your model computer, operating system and what the original problem was.

1.7K Posts

February 13th, 2008 23:00

Install the chipset drivers

10 Posts

February 14th, 2008 18:00

Dell Optiplex GXpro.....98se.......primary ide controller dynamically disabled code=10

1.7K Posts

February 15th, 2008 02:00

Did add hardeware search come up with the chipset?

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 16:00

It doesn't try to install or look for anything during startup.

1.7K Posts

February 22nd, 2008 17:00

In the control panel, you will have a icon for add hardware. This is where you'll have it do a search

@koyophoto wrote:

It doesn't try to install or look for anything during startup.

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 19:00

It won't let me get any drivers or anything off the windows 98 cd, because it isn't recognizing it. Is there a way that I can just reset the hardware to factory configuration?

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2008 12:00

You cannot reset hardware.  You get the drivers from support.dell.com or www.intel.com. I find the intel site to be better.
You could also try searching C:\windows\system32 for the drivers as thet do not get deleted

10 Posts

February 23rd, 2008 19:00

When I have it look for hardware, it doesn't come up with anything; and when I try to find it myself (from the list of installable conponents) I can't find Primary or Secondary Ide Controller. How do I get the number of my chipset (and how will having the chipset model # help)?

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2008 19:00

http://support.dell.com has drivers. go there and find you model, under your version of windows will be chipset drivers, download and install them.  If you can get to www.intel. com from that machine, they have a program that will tell you your chipset and then which driver set to install.
No Events found!