Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 23rd, 2016 07:00

Wireless PCIE card IRQ conflict??

I've tried installing two different wireless PCIE cards in a Precision T1700 minitower in both the full length PCIE slot and the X1 slot and have run into the system crashing after a few minutes.  It will either hang or the video will start flashing random colors on screen.  Without the card everything runs fine. 

I plan on installing a dedicated video card as well but haven't picked it up yet but it will likely be a Nvidia 1050 based card (not that that should make a difference).  Hopefully this will work out differently (the video card install that is).

As for the wireless PCIE card, I've noticed that the IRQ is shared with the onboard video (first install), and now the High Definition Audio Controller (second install after uninstall), which is what I'm assuming is the problem.  Symptoms were the same in both cases.

Is there any way to change the IRQ manually to prevent the conflict in Windows 10 Professional?

Thanks for the assistance in advance (hopefully).

• 

17K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 08:00

Theok65,

In the bios under the System Configuration heading you will see the Serial Port option. It is this option determines how the built-in serial port operates. It lets you avoid resource conflicts between devices by disabling or remapping the address of the port. The settings are:

Disabled - The serial port function is no longer applicable
COM1 - Port s configured at 3F8h with IRQ 4.
COM2 - Port s configured at 2F8h with IRQ 3.
COM3 - Port s configured at 3E8h with IRQ 4.
COM4 - Port s configured at 2E8h with IRQ 3.
Default setting: COM1.
You can possibly free up more Irq`s by disabling hardware devices in the bios of the motherboard. Examples of things to turn off in the bios with safety are.
LPT, printer ports, com ports. Any reference to floppy drives disable them, and the floppy controller found in the bios menus as well as the
Serial ports of the motherboard.
You can them remove the driver for the hardware in conflict restart the system let windows redetect the hardware and automatically re install it`s driver. or manually install the latest driver for the hardware device.

If that does not resolve your issue you will need to call into Dell Support for configuration support.

14 Posts

November 30th, 2016 07:00

Thanks Jesse L but I've tried going through the BIOS and disabling items that I likely wouldn't use already.  Have also tried removing the conflicting hardware's drivers and reinstall (let Windows try first then download and install driver package).  I've also tried driver variants in 32 and 64 bit for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 with manual install as well.  Never had such a difficult time but will now try TP Link and Dell to see if either can resolve the situation.  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2016 07:00

The way to remove conflict is to use USB Wifi instead. EW-7811UTC is Plug & Play. The Driver is included in Windows 10.

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811UTC-Dual-Band-Connectivity-Exceeding/dp/B00FW6T36Y/

14 Posts

November 30th, 2016 09:00

Yes, thanks for the info SpeedStep but that's what I'm using right now (150 mbps max).  Was hoping to stuff everything into the box rather than use USB AND get the higher throughput.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2016 10:00

The Dual Band EW 7811 UTC is 433mbps max.

They are faster than 2.4Ghz  N based devices when used with a 5Ghz 802.11AC router.

No Events found!