Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 15:00

Wow do I have a good one ? GX240 Optiplex

I wonder if any ubre geeks can help me here cause I am stumped.

Ok this is where I am.

• GX240 Optiplex PC, Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, BIOS Version A05
  • Found at work, no one using it so took it home
  • Boot up states

No /boot/loader

FreeBSD/i386 boot

Default : 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel/

boot:

No /boot/kernel/kernel/

FreeBSD/i386 boot

Default : 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel/

boot:

• Well after looking on web found out the FreeBSD is some sort of Unix software. Me and Unix is like talking Serbo Croat because I have no clue on what to do.

My issue is that I am trying to see if I can load windows onto it. Tried Windows XP booting from CD rom. No joy. Chnaged CD rom thinking that was it. No joy.

Help please or at a least a translation of what I can do ?

Must be a super brain out there than can help me as it present this a " power eating, screen hugging door stop"

Thanks in adavnce for any help.

EH

137 Posts

February 16th, 2009 01:00

The bios on the 240 may be too old to allow you to boot from a CD. Try updating it.

February 16th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the advice but how do I update the bios if I cannot use the CD ? as the only input I have is via CD....yes ?

2.8K Posts

February 16th, 2009 07:00

Englishhead,
The GX240 BIOS updates are designed to create a bootable floppy disk to run the flash from. Given how old the latest BIOS for that system is (6½ years) I doubt it'll add the ability to boot from a CD. I'd suggest downloading the Microsoft file that creates a set of Windows XP setup floppy disks here. Choose the link in the article that corresponds to the version of XP you're trying to install.

No Events found!