Toronto699
4 Beryllium

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

i may try this card today

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-xonar-d2x-review/

i have 2 sets of logitech   Z 5000 D 5.1 speakers all settings in creative softwear are enabled , including CMSS, the  huge problem is screech. the software is set to optumin sound for the best sound quality.  i cannot stand this screech problem any more . MY XPS 720  is a paper wieght with this issue . the XPS 720 is seldom used it sits in a corner collecting dust.. the 720 can play any game without any hic-cups but useless with screech every 5 to 10 mins . screech may dissapear a few days but always comes back with more gusto..

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-01-2008 09:16 AM
0 Kudos

for those of you that have the xifi extremegamer card and a 8800GT, try rolling back your 8800GT driver to 7.15.11.7474 (from the Dell driver website) this solved the screech of death issue on my xps730. It seems to be a conflict with the xifi extremegamer card and the nvidia graphics drivers. All of the nvidia drivers I have installed have resulted with a screech of death appart from the one I posted.

Best of luck

Jon

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

Been trying a few things to solve my screech. I have removed AVG 8.0 as I thought it was causing my computer to freeze which I am happy to report it no longer freezes 🙂

Just minutes ago I thought, has it solved my screech too! Sadly not as my fears confirmed a minute later with the screech.

0 Kudos
Rquired
2 Iron

For me removing AVG 8.0 will probably not solve anything, cause i got these freezings with AVG 7.5 and Mcafee too.
0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

I installed both the 2.15 drivers and tried the beta drivers that were mentioned.

The betas are buggy as a mug. I would rather deal with crashing than have bizzare sound issues. However, the 2.15 drivers seemed to have cut back the SoDs ALOT. I highly recommend them if you can use them. Other than that, I'm about ready to give up.

0 Kudos
jronesi
3 Argentium

I tried installing the 2.15 drivers but they wouldn't install on my system.  It appeared they were installing but upon checking, the older 6.0.1.1283 drivers were still reflected in device manager.  I tried this 3 times with the same result.  These older 6.0 drivers seem to work fine for me - no SoD's at all since they've been installed.

XPS9000, i7-920, NVidia GTS 240, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1066MHZ, Win7 Home Premium, 64bit, Dell ST2410 Display

Highlighted
Garred
3 Argentium

I am happy to report I haven't had a SOD for the last couple of days.  I still have however that cracking and popping going on and it has increased in frequency.
0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

From what I have been able to glean from the situation is that this is a DRIVER issue rather than a hardware issue. While I still do get the SoD, It has been cut quite a bit from the 2.15 drivers that I downloaded. If only Creative can completely fix the problem with their new drivers that they will (hopefully) be releasing....
0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

The bigger worry is if the Creative drivers will work with the Dell Franken-cards that we have. Although previous Creative drivers did work, the current Beta driver they have on release do not. So we may be waiting for Dell to fix this, regardless of whether Creative do or not. Will Creative pass on any solutions to the Dell developers, and how long will it take to get us a fix thereafter?

BTW - I agree, the 2.15 drivers are the most stable, and if I keep the volume low in Control Panel, and higher on my speakers themselves, I can sometimes go a couple of days without encountering a SOD.

Regards,

Gabhan

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

Just got back onto my XPS 420 having been using my laptop for the past few days. Been listening to some music tonight and as expected the SoD arrived but having fixed it the sound quality is shocking! Its very tinny, lots of bass and crackly.

This situation is totally unacceptable. 

0 Kudos