Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 11th, 2007 15:00

X1950 Pro AGP in Dell 8300

Hi,

I have been reading success stories about the 512Mb X1950 Pro AGP working in standard Dell 8300s with the 250W power supply.

I am currently looking to upgrade my card (9800 pro) to the X1950. Therefore I need a better power supply. I have seen the ones at pcpowersupply and dont believe they are powerfull enough.
The 410W silencer PSU only has a 12V @ 23A powerline.
HIS recommend a 12V @ 32A line so im not too keen on the dell power supplies.

Are there any other recommended PSUs that work in a Dell 8300 with no problems and have the 12V @ 32A line .

Also the card appears to be very long! and taking a look at my motherboard there appears to be some part of the motherboard jutting out that may restrict entering a large card.

Any help?

Conor

12.1K Posts

February 11th, 2007 16:00

http://www.pcpower.com/products/power_supplies/selector/dell.htm  8300 power supply by pcpower and cooling vendor.  Think the 410 watter is suggested.  Others cheaper can also fit and work, but I do not like cheak anything for my system..   

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
120 Gb Seagate 7,200 drive
24 inch 2407 WFP
XFX 7800 GS O/C AGP
16x DVD-R
410 watt ( PcPower&Cooling )

(If I post the same answer as someone else, this is not because I like to give a second opinion, but my typing is slower than the others.)

5 Posts

February 11th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have looked at the Pcpower 410W power supply but am still a bit worried about the v12 @ 32A.
Is this something to be worried about? The card could be underpowered?

Anyone know the exact length of the card?

Conor

12.1K Posts

February 11th, 2007 21:00

Saw just a few moments ago a X1950 Pro 512 mb card suggests this 

450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended ( assumes fully loaded system)

When it says fully loaded, that means more hard drives than just one, optical drives in addition to one, more memory, pci cards and what not.  The 410 watter you, and I are talking about is the mean average and the peak is 450 watts.  If your system is not overloaded than I cannot see a reason that it should not work..  But I do not have this card, so perhaps others in the know will weigh in later.

Also...

Many, but not all video cards sold, don't draw more than about 175W (Under the most strenuous conditions). They don't necessarily underrate their PSUs either, it is an average max output.

As for video cards saying they need a 350/400W PSU, this is more or less a liberal number, and is more directed towards those that have loaded there computers with several optical drives, lots of PCI cards, etc. Dell underrates is power supply, also to be on the safe side, being more conservative. Now regarding the peak power wording. A PSU cannot maintain peak but for only a brief time, so this should be kept in mind when looking for a video card. You may have to upgrade the p/s to be on the safe side...

Dell rates its power supplies to read only the mean average, to be on the safe side (Being more conservative), and the peak power is much higher to handle better cards that suggest a more powerful power supply. The card manufacture only suggests a more powerful power supply, so if you install additional optical drives, and memory, it can handle the overload, or, they are just being more liberal.

This question is asked on a daily basis, and for a number of years. Many have upgraded their systems with a better video card that suggests a more powerful p/s, and they are doing just fine with their stock set up.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354  This graphic card watt comparison link was provided by another member. Good info to have

5 Posts

February 12th, 2007 17:00

Great! thanks man. Very good info!

Im going to continue and purchase the s410W dell power supply. THat should keep me going.

I have read loads of reviews on the length of this card and im getting all over the place measurements.

So far

9"
9.25"
9.5"
10"
Now I kno the dell casing on the 8300 is ok for length its the motherboard im worried about.
There is a jagged part of the motherboard sticking out. Its white looking liek a transister and Says " pulse" on it. I dunno what it is. But seems to obstruct my graphics card. Ill psot pics later.

Any ideas?

12.1K Posts

February 12th, 2007 17:00

Had and now have again a very long card for my older system.  Had to perform some slight surgery to the IDE cable connector and ribbon that you lift up on.  Took that off, saved a very small amount of room.   Hope you won't have issues with your metal part sticking out.  Wish Dell would give us more room in our systems to meet the needs of future cards. 

Good luck with the install

12.1K Posts

February 12th, 2007 18:00

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/techov.htm  Don't have the foggiest idea what that is even from this lame motherboard layout from Dell.  Perhaps someone else does.  You are right, get out the tape. 

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
120 Gb Seagate 7,200 drive
24 inch 2407 WFP
XFX 7800 GS O/C AGP
16x DVD-R
410 watt ( PcPower&Cooling )

Message Edited by SR45 on 02-12-2007 04:00 PM

5 Posts

February 12th, 2007 18:00

Thanks SR45!

Here are a few photos. Just so you can see for yourself my problem and obstruction.
As you can see the white rectangular box. Do all Dell 8300s have this "pulse" box?

What you think? I think its time for the measuring tape :).

336 Posts

February 13th, 2007 16:00

You might be able to get the X1950 Pro in there...the single slot model from Powercolor or Diamond might work....the dual slot model with the extra cooler from HIS probably won't fit. If you look at some of the pictures of the X1950 Pro, it's length from the right-side end of the AGP connector to the edge of the card appears to be the exact same length as the AGP connector. Looking at your mobo, you have just enough room, but again, that is not a real world measurement.

17 Posts

February 28th, 2007 19:00

So did you stick with the Dell PSU aswell?

I bought the Pcpowerandcooling psu your mentioned about a year and a half ago when I upgraded my 9800pro in my Dimension8300 to  a radion 850xt pe the performance jump was amazing.I would now like to upgrade to the x1950pro but like yourself I was concerned about the 23amps on the 12volt rail.I contacted Pcpowerandcooling and this was the reply I got,

"This supply will be plenty of power for any AGP video card and up to 4 hard drives. The first card listed may have a six pin PCI-E connector on it, even though there is no purpose for it. You can also use the Silencer 470 Dell with the 24 to 20 pin adapter."
Thanks,
James Dickinson
PC Power & Cooling
I am still undecided as waht to do TBH,

Joe.

5 Posts

Hi,

I decided not to risk it.
Instead I ordered a Leadtek 7600GT and it runs amazing!
Only 120 euro and done the job!
Its well worth it!

17 Posts

Did the card fit ok and did the Pcpowerandcooling PSU run it ok?

Joe.

Message Edited by thundycat on 02-28-2007 09:21 PM

2.7K Posts

September 6th, 2007 13:00

hi don't mean to bump a old thread but i just installed a sapphire x1950pro in my 8300 today runs perfectly ok with the stock 305 watt psu.... heres a capture during games of amp/temp etc its also a huge card compared to my 6600gt :D

Message Edited by klbf on 09-07-2007 02:55 AM

17 Posts

September 6th, 2007 14:00

Hi what software are you using to display that information please?

Joe.

2.7K Posts

September 6th, 2007 23:00

rivatuner 2. something

My Web Site

No Events found!