Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

February 13th, 2015 11:00

XP& 8700 SE black screen with AMD HD R9270 2GB

New 8700 just suddenly started to go to a black screen after boot-up and sign-in. After some time, the display suddenly re-appeared and everything was fine.

Just installed BIOS A10 - and now when I rebooted, black screen again.

Is this a similar issue to the Nvidia card issues or something different? Power supply?

Need some help!!!!

XPS 8700 SE purchased Dec 19, 2014

256 GB SSD and 3TB HD

32 GB memory

AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5

Dell Ultrasharp U2412M Monitor

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

February 15th, 2015 15:00

If your computer came with the R9 you shouldn't be experiencing this.  I believe the problem with the Nvidia cards were people buying non OEM 980s or 970s (something like that) and installing them after the fact, and the computer couldn't handle it.  

If you have not modified the hard ware, I would ask what software you have installed?  Did you notice after installation of a particular piece of software that this problem occurred?  I did a check on Dell.com's support site for your computer and the drivers they give for the AMD cards are getting long in the tooth.  I would go to ATI.com and download some fresh graphics drivers and see if that helps first. 

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 15:00

I have the exact same system.  The error if you allow the dump file to populate is Video_TDR_Failure (atikmpag.sys).  I Spent over an hour with a Dell tech on chat and they were no help.  Upgraded to the most current version of both the ATI driver and the Catalyst package and still the problem continues.

Did also update BIOS to A10.  Although I dont get the blackscreen on startup, i does seem to randomly happen, whether I am gaming, editing photos'/video, or the machine just sitting at idle.  I dont not believe the techs have any idea how to fix.  Many posts i have read outside of Dell forums talk about the solution being to upgrade to an NVidia card.

I am not going to do that, as I have had this system about 2 weeks.  Customer support so far has been totally useless,I am going to try and see whether or not I can RMA this card, pay an upgrade fee and see if I can get rid of this card.

XPS 8700 SE purchased Jan 25, 2015

256 GB SSD and 3TB HD

32 GB memory

AMD Radeon HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5

Samsung 42" LCD HDTV

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 11:00

I have this exact same problem on my XPS 8700 with AMD Radeon R9.

I tried emailing Dell support last week but still no response. I know I'll be wasting my time if I phone them even though I know there is a problem with the system.

No Events found!