Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BC

January 30th, 2008 06:00

XP loading issue with Optiplex GX520 and 755??

Hello,

This might as well be a Windows issue but since we have only experienced this with Dell Optiplex workstations (and one Latitude D830) I would like to know if anyone else here have had similar problems and have you found a solution? Or does anyone have any troubleshooting tips.

Problem is that when user logs on to our domain the WinXP (SP2) desktop will not load properly. User can only see the desktop wallpaper. No icons, no start menu, no program bar (or what ever it's called). User can hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and logout and re-login and the explorer.exe is then loaded properly. All Dell hardware have integrated Intel network adapters which, to put it kindly, have not been trouble free at all...

We have also HP desktops (several models) in our domain but this error happens only with Dell PC's. Non-manufacturer related software & apps package in HP's and Dell PS's are very similar. XP SP2, Office XP, same apps, etc. Any ideas???

Message Edited by Bob Cat on 01-30-2008 02:39 AM

January 31st, 2008 09:00

same problem as im having with the 3 x 755 optiplex our schoool purchased...
Desktop loads, all else appears ok except for the newtwork delieverd shortcuts!!!

On other new installations our group policies and folder redirections work.

February 5th, 2008 13:00

ok i sussed this one out eventually,,,  sounds very similar to my folder redirection issue i was having.

Wiht the standard Dell xp installation, a number of useless icons are made within the Documents and settings All Users folders, and default users folders...... delete them!!!  as they stopped our Group Policy desktop shortcuts from appearing on the desktop.

Hope this helps, or gives u some direction on what to look for..   Event manager showed we had Folder redirection failure due to these icons^^

6 Posts

February 12th, 2008 11:00

Thanks. We also are re-directing My Documents folder to a network server. I think I need look into this possibility.

No Events found!