Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2013 12:00

XPS 18 All-in-one shuts down by itself

I have a XPS 18 I bought a few months ago and just recently it has shut down by itself. I'll be working and it just shuts down. It takes a while for me to get it to turn back on. When I do get it turned back on, it tells me to wait, it was shut down improperly. It's not hot, and I only have my email program open and usually Firefox. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Susan

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi Susan,

Intermittent shutting down of the system happens due to multiple reasons. I suggest you to check if the system is shutting down in BIOS screen, safe mode with networking, also run hardware diagnostics:

To confirm the hardware functionality, I would request you to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics 

If the system does not have Wireless keyboard, Press and hold down Volume Up and Power Button for 3 seconds and release both buttons, to initiate diagnostics. You may also refer to this video on how to run the ePSA Diagnostics: http://dell.to/1dMViiD

First, disconnect any external devices connected to the computer. Follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot the issue:

To boot the system to Safe mode in Windows 8 refer this link: http://dell.to/17rNb7m

Check if the computer is shutting down in safe mode with networking and please include with results in reply.

Please leave the system in BIOS screen and check if the system is shutting down in BIOS screen. To enter BIOS screen, restart the system by tapping F2 at Dell logo if Wireless keyboard is available or Press Volume Down and Power Button and release both buttons to enter BIOS screen.

Please post the results.

October 15th, 2013 09:00

I ran the ePSA test and there were no errors. I will check the Safe mode and then post those results.

Susan

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 15th, 2013 13:00

Hi Susan,

Sure, please let me know the results.

Awaiting your response!

October 17th, 2013 07:00

My computer shuts down in Safe Mode, and in the BIOS mode, so any other suggestions? thanks, Susan

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 17th, 2013 19:00

Hi Susan,

Please update the BIOS and check if that helps.

1. Click this link: http://dell.to/1gPEwhM
  2. Click “Get driver” and save the file on desktop.
  3. Ensure to connect the AC-Adapter to the computer, run the BIOS file.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to update the BIOS.
  5. Restart the computer when prompted.

Check the performance of the system. If the issue persists, please private message me the service tag, registered owners name and address.

To private message click my Dell-user name and click Send a Private message.

Awaiting your response!

1 Message

May 4th, 2016 13:00

I follow these steps and it still shuts down after an hour.   The device fan is clear I blew it out and I can have running it just off battery and it does the same after about an hour.   It does this same behavior in the BIOS.

Thanks

No Events found!