Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2015 07:00

XPS 2710 Black Screen, Won't Boot -- Parts Missing?

Hi All,

So I have been struggling with a common issue with these 2710's -- black screen.

As per most peoples experience (most, not all), Dell customer service has been completely unhelpful. I have also scoured the website to try and find fixes. Nothing. I can never get the computer to the dell logo to enter BIOS. Just a flicker then straight to black.

I took off the back panel in order to reset the CMOS, and look what I found:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j428/boneyjr/IMG_2557_zpswyn3jlyk.jpg

Is it me or is a part missing??? The fan over top of the graphics card? 

Love to hear any thoughts.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 26th, 2015 14:00

All in ones are closer to laptops than desktops with almost everything integrated on the motherboard. Graphics are chipsets on the board--no fan needed. See the manual-- HERE  

Here's a review of this model-- www.pcworld.com/.../xps-one-2710.html

9 Posts

October 26th, 2015 16:00

Yes, of course I have looked at the manual. And I would encourage you look at page 15 and 16. The fan is there. The fan cools the video card. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2015 18:00

I need to check something. Click my username and send me a private message with your XPS One 2710 service tag number.

9 Posts

October 26th, 2015 20:00

Private message sent along with tag #. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2015 22:00

The XPS One 2710 was sold with two graphics options =
Integrated Intel HD 4000 Graphics or the Discrete Nvidia N13P-GS GeForce GT 640M

The added GPU fan was only for those systems that sold with the Discrete Nvidia N13P-GS GeForce GT 640M Graphics. Your model did not. It only shipped with the Integrated Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The picture you see in the manual just happened to be the Nvidia model. Below are your system components. Notice, no Nvidia. Also, the 3 pin connector for the fan is not on your motherboard by the password jumper. Based on operating system, there were a total of six motherboards, three with the Discrete Nvidia N13P-GS GeForce GT 640M Graphics + GPU Fan + 3 pin connector and three without.

The video you presented had the Nvidia which we found by looking up the service tag number.

9 Posts

October 27th, 2015 06:00

Ok understood. Can you help me fix the motherboard? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 27th, 2015 07:00

Did you try moving the the CMOS jumper (by the coin cell battery) to pins 2/3, wait 10 seconds, then replace to pins 1/2 to see if the system would boot up? If this does not work, the motherboard is faulty. You would have to replace it, part number WPVM4.

9 Posts

October 27th, 2015 09:00

yes i tried that several times to no avail. This issue happened prior to my warranty expiring. and suddenly the computer booted again. Microsoft honors the warranty if the issue presented itself prior to the warranty. You must have a record of the conversation associated with my TAG #. Can something be done?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 27th, 2015 13:00

That concession would only apply if within 30 days of the originally purchased warranty end date. I doubt any business would do it 12 months after the warranty end date.

9 Posts

October 28th, 2015 16:00

incorrect. MS replaced my Surface Pro 3 last week on a warranty that ended in June. Reason being, it was a known issue with some of the SP3's. Just like the failing motherboards on these XPS's is a well known problem. Dell's response seems to be: "Deal with it." 

No Events found!