Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2013 13:00

XPS 2720 - How to replace 32GB SDD with larger one

Hello,

I want to replace the current 32GB SDD with a 256GB SDD. I'm not sure how many drives the XPS 2720 can hold and of what type.

- Can it accommodate a new SDD in addition to the HDD and SDD that are already there?  Or, must I replace the current SDD? If so, does it have to be mSata or can the computer hold two SATAs?  I'm looking at the Samsung 840 Pro 256.

Ideally: 2TB HD, 256 GB SDD, 32 GB SDD

Good: 2TB, 256GB SDD

Bad: Can't hold another SATA

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 18th, 2013 13:00

Hi Racarius,

Dell XPS 2720 can be configured with 32 GB, 64 GB or 256 GB mSATA drive and 3.5-inch SATA 3.0 HDD of capacity 1TB to 4TB.

You can purchase 256GB mSATA drive to replace 32GB mSATA drive.

26 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 14:00

Just so that you are aware, the SSD that comes with the Dell 2720 is an mSATA SSD (not a regular SSD).  Yes they do come in various sizes, I think the biggest mSATA is 512GB.  I am currently in the midst of trying to install an Intel 180GB mSATA SSD into a base level XPS 2720 as we speak (it's not as straight forward as it was on my XPS 2710).

I will respond to this post once again with my experience in upgrading the mSATA SSD on the XPS 2720

26 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 16:00

Ok, here is my progess so far:

1. I was not able to use the Dell Recovery software to install onto the new Intel mSATA 180GB drive (I was able to do this previously on my XPS 2710 system).  My base level XPS 2720 came with a 1TB hard drive, and the error I get when I try to restore using the Dell Recovery software is "Your hard drive size is not supported for this process.  Please use a hard drive at least 931GB in size).
    1. If I had more time and patience, I would look into the CSP.DAT file located on the SYSRECOVERY media in a folder called 'preload'.  This file seems to contain all of the partitions and sizes the Recovery Media requires to restore the system.
  2. I was successful in installing Windows 8 onto the Intel mSATA drive using a generic Widows 8 installation.  As far as I am concerned this is a both a blessing and a bit of a pain
    1. On one hand you can control which additional Dell software you want with a fresh install of Windows 8, on the other hand, you will have to download or use the DVD included with your system to install some of the drivers missing.

I will continue to provide some feedback in regards to any issues I have around this issue.

4 Posts

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Thanks to everyone that replied.  It is helpful.

This is what I have done:

- I installed the Plextor M5M 256 GB SSD mSATA into the XPS 2720.I changed the BIOS to AHCI (instead of RAID).

- Just like feejai, I could not get the Dell Recovery software to restore to the new drive.  I deleted all of my HD partitions and did a fresh Windows 8 Pro OS install on the SSD.

- Installed all the XPS 2720 drivers and updates.

RESULTS:

Everything is working except for two problems:

- Waking up from sleep would not work correctly. It would sometimes reboot and complain in the event viewer that resuming from hibernate wasn't successful.  Also, if I put the computer to sleep (not hibernate), it would sleep and immediately reboot.  I tried all sorts of power setting changed and those didn't help.  I ended up resolving this by reinstalling the Intel HD Graphics 4600 drivers.  I read somewhere that this solved the issue for another unrelated computer.  I was very suspicious, but it worked!

- The other problem is one that I have not yet found the solution.  When my computer starts (either from a cold boot or from sleep), it will not automatically connect to my wireless.  I have to manually connect it.  Yes, the auto connect checkbox is selected.  This is quite a nuisance and I am not sure what could be the cause.

*** If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve the wireless auto connect issue, described above, please let me know.

Thank you all.

5 Posts

October 7th, 2013 13:00

Hello, two questions regarding xps 2720: Replacing the msata invalidate the warranty? Is there an adapter for wall mounting?
thank you in advance

26 Posts

October 9th, 2013 10:00

I can't comment on the warranty, perhaps a Dell representative can advise (doubt it though, the user manual shows how to install the msata).  In terms of a wall mount, no, there are no adapters to wall mount this unit.

5 Posts

October 13th, 2013 10:00

Hello, the disc msata, is located in the compartment, which also features the other hard disk?

26 Posts

October 15th, 2013 14:00

Hi there Buzz...

There is a separate slot on the motherboard specifically for the msata drive.  It's located just below the two memory slots (this is also shown in the user manual).

5 Posts

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Sorry I misread, replacement is simple!

5 Posts

October 16th, 2013 01:00

Ok found! <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> but you have to disassemble everything!!! But the m-sata have all the same size? So any other okay?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 16th, 2013 04:00

Hi buzz7319,

Replacing the mSATA drive on the system will not void the warranty unless if you damage the systemboard during the replacement.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2013 05:00

I apologize to the members of the forum 's "obscenity".

December 21st, 2013 12:00

I rebuilt my disk from the windows 8 dvd to get a nice clean install before I later cloned it to my new 240gb boot msata.  I am also seeing the problem you report above:

- The other problem is one that I have not yet found the solution.  When my computer starts (either from a cold boot or from sleep), it will not automatically connect to my wireless.  I have to manually connect it.  Yes, the auto connect checkbox is selected.  This is quite a nuisance and I am not sure what could be the cause.

*** If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve the wireless auto connect issue, described above, please let me know.

I repeat racarius's plea for suggestions on solving this.  (Yes, I've installed the 8.1 driver from Dell's website and it went through the strange uninstall/reinstall when it happened.)

Thanks in advance!

December 22nd, 2013 17:00

[Fixed]  I tried something I found somewhere (sorry, can't give credit because I was sure it wouldn't work and didn't keep track).  Even though my wireless was not reconnecting after both sleep and restart or cold boot, the problem was fixed by just un-checking the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the killer wireless-N adapter hardware properties.  apparently this option isn't used just for sleep mode on laptops which is what I thought it was for.  obviously, the driver isn't working right if it doesn't turn back on, but I'm not that worried about the tiny power usage since the xps isn't running on battery (darn it).

July 25th, 2014 16:00

Hi, can you please clarify something for me?

Say I want to install to 1 TB ssds.  1 msata & 1 3.5 or 2.5 inches Sata.  Will they not work, or have they not been tested yet?  Is there some hardware limitation that doesn't allow more than 256 GB msata?  Also, what about 2 16GB ram modules (32 GB together).  Has that just not been tested or will it be incompatible with the computer because of other limitations.  Thank you for your time.

No Events found!