dracer09
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 2720 - NO THUNDERBOLT

I've never tried video input but if you can find an adapter that converts video to thunderbolt then I think it would work. Why don't you use hdmi input port instead?

0 Kudos
Vonlar
1 Copper

I guess I'm hoping the Thunderbolt connection may enable touch.

0 Kudos
matjm
1 Copper

> Yes, it accepts input. You can also hook up firewire devices using adapter. It provides a very stable and fast connection.

By adapter, i assume you mean the apple thunderbolt to firewire adatper?

does anyone know if the thunderbolt port can be connected (through this adapter) to firewire audio interfaces from the likes of presonus and focusright?  What about actual thunderbolt audio interfaces like the higher end motu interfaces?

The reason why i ask is because i was led to believe that the thunderbolt port is really just a display port, or meant for only displays ans storage devices but might bnot be good with other devices.

If anyone can clear this up it would be very useful indeed, since true thunderbolt is still today rare on windows pcs.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

XPS units are NOT IMAC's

The thunderbolt to firewire works just fine on an IMAC with OSX

Thunderbolt is not just display.  Its PCI-E to serial bus.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

matjm
1 Copper

i know the thunderbolt to firewire adapter works on an imac and osx. i have read the apple forum on this.
i know that xps are not imac computers. xps are dell, and they are windows.
what i was asking is whether one could use an audio interface that is firewire on a dell xps
hence why i was posting on the dell forum about this.

To make things clear, i already have a dell xps 27 touch.  it has a thunderbolt port. it runs windows 8.1 pro. i wanted to use a firewire or thunderbolt audio interface on this computer.

in theory it should work. that is a thunderbolt audio interface should work and a firewire one should work assuming the adapter works in a similar way to how it works on an apple imac.  But this is in theory.

I was not sure if it would work in practice because I have heard that different vendors do thunderbolt differently and the way dell does thunderbolt on the xps might be different from the way apple does it.

0 Kudos
matjm
1 Copper

i know the thunderbolt to firewire adapter works on an imac and osx. i have read the apple forum on this. i know that xps are not imac computers. xps are dell, and they are windows.
what i was asking is whether one could use an audio interface that is firewire on a dell xps
hence why i was posting on the dell forum about this.

To make things clear, i already have a dell xps 27 touch.  it has a thunderbolt port. it runs windows 8.1 pro. i wanted to use a firewire or thunderbolt audio interface on this computer. in theory it should work. that is a thunderbolt audio interface should work and a firewire one should work assuming the adapter works in a similar way to how it works on an apple imac.  But this is in theory.

I was not sure if it would work in practice because I have heard that different vendors do thunderbolt differently and the way dell does thunderbolt on the xps might be different from the way apple does it.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

The answer is no its not working not now not ever.  Audio interfaces are very picky about windows drivers.

Going from windows 7 to windows 8 breaks most firewire audio interfaces.

Unless you have a PCI-E slot that takes a Texas Instruments chipset firewire interface with Legacy windows 7 firewire drivers you are out of luck.  Furthermore Apple too has abandoned firewire.

The thunderbolt to firewire is fine for data but DOES NOT PROVIDE 6 pin power and requires an adapter to go back to firewire 400 6 pin.

Since there are no windows thunderbolt texas instruments chipset adapters its not working now or ever.

here

matjm
1 Copper

Thanks.  most interesting.
i have been told that in fact power is a problem.  that is, if you use the adapter do not expect the device to be able to draw bus power. so you are right there. i am thinking of a device that has its own power supply so that particular issue wont be a problem.
as for drivers, the interface manufacturers all seem to claim they have windows ddrivers for firewire devices, not sure about windows 8.1 though.
i will put this to them and see what they come back with but i think i might need to abandon the idea of a firewire device.
but... forgetting the apple adapter for a moment... what about a thunderbolt audio interface.  do you think a thunderbolt audio interface will work with the dell xps?
thunderbolt audio interfaces are starting to arrive ...

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

I have no reason to buy $1000's of dollars in hardware and software when my Firewire audio interfaces are working fine. AFAIKT audio for thunderbolt is Apple Exclusive for now. The reason for abaondonment of the interface is due to Greedy Texas Instruments demanding royalty's due to holding the firewire patent.  Microsoft and Apple's response to this was to drop the interface altogether for ALL new systems.  PCMCIA/Cardbus/ExpressCard is also gone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1089--Thunderbolt_Audio_Interfaces

here

edgardabadia
1 Copper

Sorry to hear that. I will build again my next PC soon. No more Dells.

Would you know, or anyone, whether the Dell XP 8700 PC  model will accept a Thunderbolt card (interface) to be able to have a Thunderbolt port so I can use my audio interface that won't run through its useless Firewire port of these Dell systems?

Thanks, Edgard A.

0 Kudos