Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2016 22:00

XPS 2720 won't boot in Windows 10

~1 year old 2720.  It's upgraded to Windows 10, and had worked pretty well flawlessly. 

Last week, there was a boot error, at which point I had the light blue screen with options to continue to Windows 10 (wouldn't work), restart, or take Advanced Options.

In Advanced Options, I ran the hardware tests - everything came out fine.  I then rebooted again - now it just spins endlessly with the dotted circle in the middle of the screen. 

I've done hard shutdowns, and I've gone F12 into the system menus.  At one point, I was able, after about 4 hours of letting it spin, to log in.  And everything worked, but it had to reload all of my music in Groove, and all of my live tiles save 4 or 5 were gone from the start menu.

Once it went to sleep again, I'm back to square one and staring at a blue screen with the endlessly spinning dots.

I'm assuming this is a Windows issue, but I have many machines with the latest updates and none of them have had this problem, and I can't figure it out.

Anybody else seeing anything similar?  Any suggestions on how to fix?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 27th, 2016 13:00

Did you run the extended hard drive tests?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. See if the hard drive is correctly recognized on the SATA0 port in BIOS.

It could be a hard drive failure, so if still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support ASAP.

No Events found!