Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 12th, 2013 09:00

XPS 410, black screen with flashing cursor?

I am trying to help out a friend who somehow managed to really cause quite a lot of grief for himself with his Dell XPS 410.  From what I understand he somehow locked himself out of being able to make any changes in Set-up, etc. because he forgot his password.  He did not know about the password reset jumper on the motherboard, so tried some other methods, that ultimately led to it's current status as mentioned in the title of the post.  He also tried to boot from a usb device because somehow something changed or went haywire so he could not get to windows.  I know it sounds like he has bricked the mobo, but if he has a flashing cursor is not that a sign of a bit of hope yet?  Before I buy another mobo, and have to transplant the processor, etc. is there anything else that could possible be done to get this computer back to windows?  I will be picking up the computer this weekend, but wanted to get some more advice before spending the money on a new board.  My guess is that perhaps the computer is still trying to boot from the usb device, or external HD.   Thank you in advance for any help/advice you might have.  Also, if I do need to just get a new mobo, do I need to worry about the password issue?  Have never replaced a mobo before.

1.5K Posts

June 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi  AGP123,

Welcome to the community.

You can reset the password by resetting the jumpers on the motherboard. Please check page no. 134 for the manual link below for the same:

http://bit.ly/11W4JjA

Also, flashing cursor means system is unable to find the bootable files on the USB drive. You should try the windows re-installation disk that came with the system to re-install windows.

Please perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

166 Posts

June 12th, 2013 10:00

Hello Sandeep.  The only issue then is that the computer will not recognize the cd/dvd drives because of the boot sequence.  He cannot access the set-up to change the boot sequence due to the password issue.

1.5K Posts

June 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi AGP123,

Thanks for your reply. You should try pressing F12 at the system startup and check if you can access the one time boot sequence.

If you are able to access it then you can select whether to boot from the DVD drive or USB removable media storage.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

No Events found!