Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 13th, 2009 07:00

XPS 410 hangs up on rebooting

Now that I have my newly acquired (used) XLS410 system up and running with XP Pro, I have to fix this issue of it not wanting to boot or reboot without hanging up.

I seem to get a buzzing with the #1 light lit over and over. After maybe 3 or 4 attempts it will boot correctly with the 4 lights blinking back and forth normally.

I also sometimes see an error "Your system memory has changed, run the setup utility> Press F1 to Continue..." There is a tech document regarding this on the Dell site and it refers to "Update RCO and ECU Files" but I cannot seem to find these files on the site.

Any suggestions? Are these related.

-Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 (2.4GHz, 1066 FSB ) with 4MB Cache, running XP Pro, SP2
-2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
-256 NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
-250 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 13th, 2009 08:00

The #1 light indicates failure to detect a memory module, per the service manual.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1056411

It could be a flaky memory module, or it could just be they're not 100% firmly seated or there's a tiny bit of oxidation or dust preventing full contact.  Try the steps there (remove modules, reseat one at a time) to see if you can get it running again.

131 Posts

January 13th, 2009 11:00

I removed both memory cards, clean with Caig contact cleaner and reinstalled them. Same result.

I also have removed both and installed each in the first slot. Most times it did boot up but once in awhile not. Either a 1 only lit or 3&4 lit up.

I will try testing each with a memory test program to see what's what.

Also, should there be a request Press F1 to Continue, F2 to run Setup each time upon reboot? Is this normal?

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 13th, 2009 12:00

Hmm.

The "F1 to continue" means the BIOS is unhappy with the current settings.  Could be the memory error, or something is "hung" in the CMOS, or something else doesn't match up.

I'd have to reboot mine to see if it's possible to clear the event log in the BIOS; you can reload the BIOS defaults though under Maintenance. Depending on how the defaults compare to your actual setup you may have to redo some settings.

A more thorough way would be clearing the CMOS - it's a jumper on the board (the instructions are in the manual - I'm flipping through my 410 manual as I type this).

A failing motherboard battery can do strange things too.  It's a 3V CR2032 lithium coin cell that you can find most places that sell electronics for about $3, so not much to lose by replacing it.

131 Posts

I tested the battery and it is 3 volts.

I set the bios to factory default (under F2) and that seems to have solved the F1 on reboot issue. Thank you for that!

Still something wrong with the memory sticks or the slot. Swopping them in slot 1 they both still hang (#1 light and buzzing) more often than not either starting from power OFF or restarting from ON.

Hoping the mem test will show something. Likely they are both bad?

Still, can anyone tell me more about this fix, though. Article ID: 163254 on the Dell site?

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

I was wondering about that - glad you posted the Article ID.  Looks like that utility is only for servers, not PCs.

Dell Servers have a utility that can be run to reserve resources for different components such as network cards and modems. This utility is called the EISA Configuration Utility (ECU) or Resource Configuration Utility (RCU).

131 Posts

January 13th, 2009 13:00

Ran the ram test on each of the two strips individually in socket #1. Seven passes on each... about 20 minutes to compete each test.

No errors of any kind were detected.

Likely the machine is defective? Any other suggestions as to what may be going on?

Thanks.

On the memory sticks... any chance they are not compatible. If they past the mem test does that mean they are right for the machine that tested them?

These say "1GB, 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12" made by Hynix of Korea

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

January 13th, 2009 18:00

Good question re: Memtest - I wondered the same thing.  I've got to get other things done but I'll throw an SOS to some other members who might know.  Mine is Samsung but it's only 2 512MB modules - no idea if Dell used Hynix for the 1GB set.

In the meantime:

Even though the battery tests OK on a voltmeter doesn't necessarily mean it works properly under load.  You can kill 2 birds with one stone - change the battery and clear the CMOS:  Remove the battery, press the power off for 15 seconds to discharge residual power, then leave it out for a while (some members recommend overnight).  Then put in a new battery.

Also, does it actually work OK when you get it to boot into XP, or does it blue-screen on you?

And what BIOS version?  It's kind of a moot point, since flashing BIOS on an unstable system could brick it, but someone else may have some insight.   I've seen no updates that specifically reference memory; mainly CPU and ethernet support;  I'm on 2.3 with the original Dell memory, since I'm an "ain't broke don't fix it" person and am not planning on upgrades anytime soon.  BUT, the Dell release notes are skimpy at best. 

EDIT:  Crucial.com has guaranteed compatible 1GB memory for $13 plus shipping and a 30 day no-hassle return policy.   To my mind, that's worth a try no matter what memtest says.

2 Intern

• 

935 Posts

January 14th, 2009 06:00

If the memory you currently have has a Dell sticker then it's Dell original memory.
If you buy new memory, I suggest Crucial memory.

The Dell's are picky about memory brands. I tried Corsair in my 410 and those caused all sorts of memory issues. I replaced them with Crucial and have not had an issue since. Remember too, you can only put a maximum single stick of 1GB in a slot. Your system only supports 4GB total.

131 Posts

January 14th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the contiuned help on this.

I will do the battery removal and install a new one as you suggest.

Yes, once booted up it seems to be OK. I have not actually added any software as yet. I assume it is functioning normally.

I have the latest Bios 2.5.3. I did put this in with the drivers a few days ago but this issue was there when I got the system from the previous owner. In fact, he elluded to there being an issue with hanging up on booting AFTER the sale was completed. Nice fellow.

I may just but new memory as you suggest. Lets wait to see if any of your contacts come up with suggestions. Also, any way to find out if this Hynix is OEM for this machine. Must have come with something so I assume it is original.

131 Posts

January 14th, 2009 08:00

I just ordered the 4  of the Crucial 1GB sticks. They say they guarantee it will work so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the link.

BTW: There is nothing on the memory that says it is Dell OEM.

2 Intern

• 

935 Posts

January 14th, 2009 16:00

There's a little checkbox on the left side under Memory Module (2-piece kit) of that link which let's you see the 2x1GB kits. I bought the kit for my 410. Hopefully, the single 1GB sticks are all the same and there isn't a problem, but if there is, you may want to return them and purchase a couple 2x1GB kits. At $25.99 per kit, it's the same cost as 2 individual sticks. Installing a kitted pair ensures that your modules are identical to benefit from dual channel performance.

I purchased my 410 from Dell as refurbished "Previously Ordered New" and the RAM sticks have a white sticker with Dell Memory printed on it. It doesn't say DELL OEM. I'm assuming the previous owner of yours may have put some generic RAM in at one time.

Hopefully, it will all work out for you.

131 Posts

January 15th, 2009 07:00

I just called Crucial and the gal said they are all the same at least for the XPS410. Not necessary to order them in matched pairs so she claims.

I did notice they had some 10 different modules for that same model all with different specs in terms of voltage, speed etc. She assured me the ones I ordered, the ones at the very top of the page, were correct.

We shall see.

Thanks for the follow up on this. Will post back when they are installed.

Crucial Part #: CT572995 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

No Events found!