Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 5th, 2008 17:00

XPS 410 ram upgrade

I just added 2 GB of ram to fill all four slots with 1 GB of ram each to upgrade to 4 GB of ram. The BIOS shows all 4 GB or ram, but running at only 667 MHz.  My original  2 GB of ram ran at 800 MHz.  The ram I purchased also runs at 800 MHz.  The question I have is why does it slow down to 667 MHz when I fill all four slots with all four sticks of ram or is this normal (the slow down of speed),and is there anyway to turn up the speed of my ram back to 800 MHz?

935 Posts

September 5th, 2008 18:00

Are you sure the additional 2x1GB kit you bought has the same timings and voltage as the RAM you had in the system? You may want to check (using CPUZ) the SPDs of the new GB of RAM and compare them to the old. I would run CPUZ with only your old RAM and then again with only your new RAM to get the SPDs. Check your BIOS each time also.

Crucial.com is what several forum members use and is reliable and compatible with Dell. Click here to view compatible RAM for a 410.

14.4K Posts

September 5th, 2008 19:00

CPu-z will list all 4 spd's  seperatly. the problem is more likely the other SPD settings that you cannnot see unless you have a SPD reader program.

My feeling is that the new ram has SPD settings that are different then the old ram. I have been there done that. 

Any differences or conflicts that the motherboard and bios senses between the sticks will cause the ram to down clock to the lower speed. 

The only other thing is the voltage requirements. Are all the sticks running a 2.1v or less at max timings?

17 Posts

September 5th, 2008 19:00

I have a XPS410 and I upgraded my ram 2 months ago. I heard that the XPS410 were picky on what voltage you used. I had 2 Gb of the Hynix PC2-6400 800MHz in it. I added 2Gb of the Kingston Value Ram KVR800D2N5K2/2G, PC2-6400 800 MHz 5-5-5-18 1.8v which matched the Hynix ram exactly and is running at 800MHz.

None of the ram manufacturers programs that scanned my computer gave me a exact match, timing or voltage was always off. Newegg had the ram at a good price.

September 13th, 2008 20:00

You all had it pegged, volts and timing, thanks everyone for the help!!!

No Events found!