Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2009 17:00

XPS 410 with Nvidia 7300LE - Video HW or Driver Issue?

I have a XPS 410 with an Nvidia 7300LE video board.  I have been following along now for a few weeks on different threads with how to resolve issues related to the 7300LE.

However, I have not been successful in resolving my issue which is:

ISSUE:  Received Blue Screen with the message "The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop.  This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the HW incorrectly.....

Tech Info:   ***Stop: 0x000000EA

nv4_disp

I know a lot of you have seen this before.  I have already tried removing the existing driver and updating it with the latest one from the Nvidia site.  I also tried installing the driver that came with my XPS system 2 years ago.  Each time I remove the driver and update it I am still running into the same problem with not being able to use the XPS 410 unless I am in Safe Mode. 

1.  How do I determine if this is a true HW issue with the 7300LE? 

2.  How do I determine if this is a Driver Issue? 

a.  If this is a driver issue, does anyone have a written step-by-step process I can follow?  I have gone through the process to install a new driver based on other threads but I guess I am still doing something wrong. (NOTE:  I did get GeForce Release 178, version 178.24 WHQL installed at one point.  I rebooted back in "normal" mode and I was off and running for about 3 hours until I decided to change the screen resolution from 800 x 600 to 1024 x 768.  Once I did that, I immediately got the Blue screen mentioned above.  I have not been able to get back to that point again.)

Thanks for all the help in advance.

141 Posts

January 9th, 2009 06:00

Beach-Bound,

* Download the latest display driver for your video card
* Download and install Driver Sweeper
* Open the Windows Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs and remove the display driver
* When finished, close the Windows Control Panel
* Run Driver Sweeper and remove the display driver
* When finished, close Driver Sweeper
* Restart the PC

January 10th, 2009 06:00

Chris,

Which directory should I download the new driver?  Should this be installed into C:\Drivers\Video?

Once I complete the add/remove action, I am prompted to restart.  Should I respond "no" at that time, then run "driver sweeper"?

When I do restart - should I restart in "Normal" or "Safe" mode?

Thanks,

Beach-Bound

No Events found!