Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2014 13:00

XPS 420 (2008) Should I upgrade it?

Hello, I am hoping to upgrade my XPS 420 but I have run into a few problems. I want to upgrade to a 64-bit processor but I'm not sure if there are any that are compatible with my computer. It uses a BTX motherboard rather than ATX and I'm not quite sure how to do the conversion. I also need a new video card, I'll need to install new RAM sticks, and the CPU. Is my computer worth upgrading and will it be possible? Or should I just build a new computer from scratch?

Note: I'm wanting to install Windows 7 64-bit on the new processor. I'll also want to have at least 8 GB of RAM.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2014 15:00

GrizzlyCG

ATX and BTX motherboards use the same processors, memory and power supplies, but there are some exceptions with the PSU's due to shape, size and proprietary requirements, that the XPS 420 does not have.

Most XPS 420 Socket LGA 775 processors, already support 64-bit.

Note: The XPS 420 does not support any i3/i5/i7 processors, as they not supported by the XPS 420 Socket LGA 775 and motherboard.

Note: Prior to upgrading the processor, you need to check that BIOS version A07 is installed, because with version A06 support for newer processors was added.

The XPS 4200 does support 8gb [4 x 2gb modules] of DDR2 RAM, providing it has a 64-bit operating system installed.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/xps-420

Bev.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2014 17:00

Bev

I was told by someone who ran a diagnostic on my computer that it could only run a 32-bit OS, but when I look up my processor it comes up as a 64-bit. Should I assume that my processor does not need to be replaced? I am worried due to the fact that it is considered to be at the 'end of its life' and I plan on using this computer for gaming.

The only thing that definitely needs to be replaced is the video card because it was broken. If you tell me that 8Gb of RAM and a new video card are all I should need to enjoy my games then I won't do any more than that.

I can also give you my Service Tag if that helps. 

Thank you,

Grizzly

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2014 18:00

GrizzlyCG

Grizzly,

Whoever told you that is wrong, the XPS 420 will run a 64-bit Win 7 just fine, providing you have a 64-bit processor that you say, you have.

For more info, you could run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the XPS 420:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Regards to "If you tell me that 8Gb of RAM and a new video card are all I should need to enjoy my games then I won't do any more than that"

That's something I cannot tell you, best to go to your game's webpage and check out the system's requirements for the games, you intend to play.

This will also inform you whether the default processor is compatible for the games.

No, please don't post your Service Tag, it's a forum's Terms of Use violation, to do so. :emotion-55:

I been building my desktops for many years, but also have an EOL [2007] Inspiron 530 MT, that has been upgraded with an SSD, Vista to Win 7 HP, PCIe x16 Video card and the processor to a Core 2 Duo E8400, but that's the end of the upgrades.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2014 19:00

Bev, 

I've checked online and my computer should work with most games, provided I include 8GB of RAM and a newer and better video card.:emotion-21:

Just to be safe, I would really appreciate it if you verify that this is a 64-bit processor: 

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

I've checked myself, but your input would be appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2014 22:00

GrizzlyCG

Grizzly,

Yes, the Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), is a 64-bit processor, see here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

Bev.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2014 09:00

Thank you very much, Bev. Now I can order the parts that I need.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2014 09:00

GrizzlyCG

Good luck and have fun with the upgrade. :emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!