Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2010 11:00

XPS 420 Bios A07 ICH9R sata raid controller does not support SSD, why won't Dell release an update?

I bought this XPS 420 in May 2008, and frankly, its been a very reliable system.  I've replaced the drive, added a second optical drive and a second hard disk, upgraded the RAM to 8GB, and replaced the 8800GT with a 9800GT.  Its running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate without a single problem.

I thought I would try setting it up to use a SSD (Patriot Inferno 120GB) as its primary boot device, and upgrade the video card to a GeForce GTX 460.

The system won't boot with 5 SATA devices, its extremely underpowered.

The stock PSU only has one 6pin PCI-e connector, so the GTX 460 cannot be used.

Thankfully the PSU is standard, and can be replaced with a unit that supports the hardware I want to use.

The ICH9R Sata controller firmware is seriously old.

The A07 Bios was released by Dell in May 2009.  It has PCI Option Rom for ICH9R version 7.6.1.1001

Intel has revised their own X38 Express chipset motherboards with the ICH9R controller 4 times since October of 2008:

October 9, 2008
SATA RAID info:
Intel(R) RAID for SATA - v7.6.0.1011
January 28, 2009
SATA RAID info:
Intel(R) RAID for SATA – v8.6.0.1007
July 1, 2009
SATA RAID info:
Intel(R) RAID for SATA – v8.9.0.1023
October 23, 2009
SATA RAID info:
Intel(R) RAID for SATA – v8.9.0.1023

The release notes for January 2009 specifically indicate that it was to support SSD's.  Internet searches for this issue have show that other systemboard manufacturers have had to revise the ICH9R controller firmware for exactly the same reason, SSD support. 

Why has Dell not revised the ICH9R firmware?  I've been told by XPS technical support that Dell is dependent on the manufacturer to release updates, which clearly they have.  It would be nice if Dell engineering or XPS brand management would take the 10 minutes or so to replace the PCI Option Rom in the XPS420_A07 (and other makes/models) for the ICH9R to upgrade it to 8.9.0.1023, or release the tools so we can do it ourselves.

I know there is room in the bios for a newer ROM, as hex editors show lots of empty space at the end of that module.

I've made 3 phone calls to Dell on this issue, scoured the internet for forums on how to mod the bios myself (pretty much every BIOS can be modded easily, EXCEPT DELL) with zero results.

If you look at other models with the same SATA Raid controller (ICH9R) that Dell has sold, not a single one of them has had a revision past 7.6.1.1001, which is more than 2 years out of date.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2011 02:00

Hi guys,

sorry for reopening the thread after months, but I am just curios whether this new modified A07 bios for DELL XPS 420 would also work for the new OCZ Vertex 3 drives. I was planning to buy one of those to have SATA 3 (6Gb/s) speeds using Asus U3S6 (an internal PCIe x4 card) and would like to know beforehand if this is a good idea!

Thank you very much indeed!

5 Posts

December 16th, 2011 09:00

I suspect that when dell updates Intel's OROM in their bios, it will get fixed.  Vote for it here: www.ideastorm.com/ideaView

14.4K Posts

December 16th, 2011 13:00

Dell like most major OEMs is not in the habit of spending precious resources to update out of production model systems bios unless there is some sort of safety issue involved. It doesn't make financial sense when your profit margins are all ready at the very edge. So i would be willing to bet this will never happen.

1 Message

January 11th, 2012 19:00

http://www.mediafire.com/?h02nep6115vkvc6

After 4 days and countless hours trying to get my new Sandisk 120gb SSD to cold boot in my XPS 420 (Win 7 x64), I finally found this thread:emotion-2:

On page 2 of this thread I saw 'targetbsp's post, but I missed the link to the BIOS flash in his 3rd paragraph.  I tried the ocztechnology forum link, but could not find my mobo.  Finally, I reread this thread and found the above link.  So I thought I would re-post it to make it a little more visible for future searchers.

Thanks to all you guys who contributed to this thread.  Now my new SSD cold boots !!!

I've been very happy with my XPS 420 since Aug 2008.  Upgraded ram (8gb of Corsair), 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD, Radeon HD 5670 1GB graphics card, and now this Sandisk SSD for the OS and programs.  About the only thing left is the PSU.  I think I'm good for another 2 years or so.

Gary

2 Posts

October 27th, 2012 13:00

Hi. I know this is over a year old, but I'd like to try to see if I can get my XPS 420 running  a Sandforce based SSD. Problem is, the mediafire link no longer seems to work. Any chance of posting it again? Would really appreciate it! Reece

5 Posts

October 27th, 2012 15:00

I can sent you the file. Please sent me an PM here with your Mailadress. Greetings from germany.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2012 16:00

Hey. Thanks for the help. I've messaged you privately. Cheers. Reece

16 Posts

November 15th, 2012 08:00

The Mediafire link seems to be working now. If you didn't get the file from Treefriend, try downloading again.

March 22nd, 2013 09:00

This worked for me too!  I love Google!

May 11th, 2014 06:00

Same here, what a relief!

I too had the garbled up serial number report from the RAID bios and with the bios update to 8.5 from the Mediafire link int his post, the PC is working great for the past 24 hours. I have two SSDs (OCZ and Seagate 480gb set in RAID 0). Previously the restart would throw off the RAID and I had to start from scratch several times. I even changed one of the SSDs to a different model thinking the SSD is faulty.  Then the new one reported ok but the other one started failing! So I googled again... Now WEI reports 7.9 for HDD speed.

A very happy bunny

No Events found!