Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2012 00:00

XPS 420 CPU Switched Off by Itself.

A few minutes after booting up into Windows, my XPS 420 desktop switched off by itself without any reason. The monitor screen became blank and the power light on the CPU was off. I think that the problem is not due to my monitor. It is because I managed to access the monitor setting, by pressing the monitor buttons.

There was no diagnostic beep when it is powered on, as well as none of the power lights on the front panel were switched on. Note that I have never overclocked any component in the computer.

The problem has worsen, up to point that my desktop switched off by itself even during BIOS. Upon closer inspection, I realized that:
1. There is no problem in my power supply in my house. I tried connecting the CPU power plug to different power sockets, but to no avail.
2. The same symptom is also exhibited even after I detach the power cable to video card, and the SATA card to hard disk.
3. The LED on my motherboard lights off when the same problem occurs. Usually, when my desktop is working fine, this LED continuously emits light.

My computer specification is as follow:

Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory
Leadtek WinFast GTX460 1GB OC, 725 MHz Core, 3600 MHz Memory
1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk
BTX motherboard
425 W Power Supply Unit

Guys, could you please advise me what is the cause of the computer malfunction and how I should fix it? I like this computer very much and it hurts me seeing it being malfunctioned. :( Thank you for your information.  :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2012 05:00

Hi Alvinkhorfire,

Go to your troubleshooting manual. The first thing you need to do is disconnect any non-essential peripherals, everything except the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

Next, check to see if the diagnostic lights indicate a problem. Try booting to your diagnostics partition (F12) and run the Dell diagnostics. If you are unable to do that, try booting to your Dell drivers and utilities disc to run the diagnostics.

When you post back, please make sure you give me the details about exactly what you tried and what happened.

December 22nd, 2012 22:00

@Osprey

Thank you for youre reply. As you suggested, I have browsed through the troubleshooting manual, but none of the solutions can help in solving the problem.

I am unable to run Dell diagnostics. The reason is that the computer shuts down by itself during BIOS, as if there is an electrcial breakdown, which there is not. If I choose to run Dell diagnostics, it will not be able to complete the diagnostics, before shutting down without any apparent reason.

None of the power lights on the front panel (showing 1, 2, 3, and 4) were switched on, thus the computer does not indicate the source of the problem.

As of now, I am unable to solve the problem. So, what should I do now?

Thank you for the advise. :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 03:00

Ok, let me verify a few things:

1. Did you remove all non-essential peripherals as I suggested above?

2. Did you try booting to your Dell drivers and utilities disc as I suggested above?

3. Are you able to get into the BIOS when you see the Dell logo?

38 Posts

December 24th, 2012 07:00

after removing "video card" from PCI slot, remove 1 Kingston RAM stick per reboot, BIOS should complain with RAM memory reduction, inspect motherboard and USB slots for anything that does not look "normal", you should get BIOS

February 9th, 2013 02:00

Sorry for not replying to this thread for a long time. Still, thanks to both of you for trying to provide potential solutions to my problem.

@osprey4

I did remove all non-essential peripherals as you suggested. Well, I have unfortunately lost my Dell drivers and utilities disc.

I can get into the BIOS, but shortly after that, the computer switched off by itself.

I believe that my power supply unit is faulty. Is there any way for to confirm the PSU as culprit? Note that I do not have any multimeter, or any other voltage measuring device.

38 Posts

February 9th, 2013 04:00

8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory

Leadtek WinFast GTX460 1GB OC, 725 MHz Core, 3600 MHz Memory

"I can get into the BIOS, but shortly after that, the computer switched off by itself"

what i would do is; only re-install the factory RAM and remove the GTX460 and boot into the BIOS and see what happens, it is rare for bad PSU

February 9th, 2013 16:00

@dakitas

Thank you for your suggestion. I would try it , and then report its outcome.

Well, the motherboard does not have its own integrated graphics. So, when I remove the GTX460, what should the monitor be connected to? The reason I upgraded to GTX460 is that the 8800GTX, originally a part of the XPS 420, was faulty.

Could you elaborate more on "rare for bad PSU"? Are you saying that if the PSU is faulty, I would not be able to switch on the computer and get into BIOS at all?

Thank you for your assistance. :emotion-1:

38 Posts

February 10th, 2013 07:00

back in my PC technician days, it was rare for a faulty PSU, the XPS Is probably from late 2007, check the m/b capacitors are flat and not crowned, try "F2" for setup and set BIOS to "factory default" and clear log files, verify nothing is grounding out or shorting out the m/b, example a bad USB pins completing a circuit, if a friend can borrow an old good known working PSU to verify its not power, and of course be careful with static electricity & remove the power cord before working inside the PC

February 11th, 2013 02:00

Thank you for your detailed explanation as always. :emotion-1:

The computer still displays the very same symptoms, even after I tried your troubleshooting methods (reinstall the factory RAM and resetting BIOS). I confirmed that nothing is grounding out or shorting out the motherboard, and all motherboard capacitors are flat.

Now, it has worsened, up to point that I cannot switch on the computer and load into BIOS. When I switch on wall socket (without pressing the CPU power button), the diagnostic lights 1, 3, and 4 are momentarily on and the fans spin for a while (this is normal when my computer was running fine a month ago). When I press the CPU power button, the CPU switched off by itself, without showing the BIOS at all.

1. Other than checking the items as mentioned by you, how can I check whether the motherboard is faulty or not? I do not have any old good known working PSU with me or my friends.

2. I may purchase Corsair AX850 PSU (http://www.corsair.com/professional-series-gold-ax850-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-power-supply.html) to replace my PSU. Is it compatible with my rig?

Thank you for your information. :emotion-1: My XPS 420 has always been the pride of my life. I really love to see it running fine once again.

38 Posts

February 16th, 2013 04:00

try removing all the RAM, the m/b should make continuos or 4 error beeps, indicating missing RAM, this would tell me the m/b is good if the PC stays on, the best troubleshooting method is to replace parts like, video card, RAM, PSU, m/b.  I am not sure about recommending a new PSU, maybe someone knows a local computer shop or school with an IT department, they will have an older test PSU

No Events found!