Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2008 03:00

XPS 420 Goodies Question

I recently received my new XPS 420 system and am disappointed to find that I did not even receive an XPS mouse pad with the system.

I was shocked because I had chatted with an XPS Sales Representative and specifically asked if the items were included with the system and I was told yes.  I saved a copy of this transcript for my records.

Now, I have read through the forums here and have heard that Dell is supposedly not including XPS goodies with systems any more (including the mouse pad).

I am currently trying to get somewhere with a Senior Dell Chat Account Representative regarding the issue, but it is not looking good.  I got in touch with general customer service as well, and all they did was to tell me to contact sales regarding the issue.  Well, I have already done that.

Does anyone have any advice on who else I could attempt to contact to get the XPS goodies?  Even if they are not given out regularly, I am sure there are residuals SOMEPLACE, SOMEWHERE, in SOME WAREHOUSE that could be used as a customer satisfaction issue.  But, I am at a loss.

I know the issue may seem foolish to some; but, I specifically asked about the items on 09/26/08 and was told that they are still included (excerpt from sales chat below):

11:12:55 PM     William Kunkle Jr

Hello. I recently ordered a Dell XPS 420 system (it is currently in production) and I just had a general question. Does the Dell XPS system still come with the special XPS mouse pad, XPS embossed manual/cd holder, and XPS microfiber cleaning cloth?

11:14:10 PM     XPS_RR_Rep_Chris

yes

Had I been told "no," the issue may not be as upsetting to me as it currently is.  But, I was point blank told yes that I would receive the items and then I received nothing and am currently getting nowhere with any Dell department.

Any suggestions?

33 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 12:00

If you find a answer I would like to know because I did not get any of that with my new xps 420.I was under the impression I would receive them also.I received my new xps420 last friday.good luck!

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 13:00

Hey I know its probably a Principal Issue, but I wouldnt get too excited over the XPS mousepad. It really isnt that good.

19 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 14:00

It is not just the mouse pad I am upset about.  It is the fact that I did not receive ANY of the XPS accessories; yet, I was told by the XPS Sales Rep that I would.

As you said, it's a matter of principle.  When you spend the extra money to get the XPS system and you expect the "special XPS service," I don't think it is unrealistic to expect to receive the XPS Accessory Kit - especially after being told by an XPS Sales Rep that it was still included.

Message Edited by Kunkle_W on 10-02-2008 11:12 AM

799 Posts

@kunkle_W wrote:

It is not just the mouse pad I am upset about.  It is the fact that I did not receive ANY of the XPS accessories; yet, I was told by the XPS Sales Rep that I would.

As you said, it's a matter of principle.  When you spend the extra money to get the XPS system and you expect the "special XPS service," I don't think it is unrealistic to expect to receive the XPS Accessory Kit - especially after being told by an XPS Sales Rep that it was still included.

Hello Kunkle_W, XPS systems are just another marketing ploy to sell Dell systems that are supposed to be a Higher Line of systems. They are not.

In order to market these systems as a High End line of products, Dell offers incentives such as XPS Premium Support, which is no better than all the other Dell support.

You cannot believe anything a Dell Representative tells you. They are simply trying to get you off the phone. I have been promished everything under the world and delivered nothing.

If you want a fight for what you were promised, be ready to not take no for an answer, because that is what you are facing.

It took me 8 months to get what I was promised and then it was not as it should have been.

Hope this helps.

799 Posts

I would not waste one minute of my time trying to get Dell to supply what was promised because it is simply not worth it.

If it were a component with a price of $100.00 or more, it might be worth the hassle. Otherwise it is not.

The mosue pads Dell "provides" is nothing more than marketing gimmics and not worth using.

I have a drawer full of them, soon to be in a landfill somewhere.

19 Posts

Sorry, as I said, it is a matter of principle to me.  I don't like being lied to.

As for being ready to fight: that's fine.  Due to issues with my last system I purchased from them, I worked with the "Expert Resolution Center" for several months and in the end received $400 in refunds to my credit card, a $100 concession coupon, a Wacom Graphics Tablet (at over 80% off), and a free Wacom Graphics Tablet travel case.

The problem back then: my laptop palmrest was replaced and they didn't replace the Windows XP and Intel Processor labels.  Then, they couldn't find the labels and realized they had labeled my system incorrectly to begin with.

Like I said, it's all a matter of principle.

799 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 15:00

@kunkle_W wrote:

Sorry, as I said, it is a matter of principle to me.  I don't like being lied to.

Hello Kunkle_W, I am sorry to hear of your issues with Dell.

But, I am very glad to hear that you are fully aware of the fight you find yourself in with Dell.

I totally agree with you about the "principle" of all this. I was advised to "Escalate My Unresolved Issue" also.

I got nothing at all from the "Escalation Team" except being chastized for mentioning that Chris M advised me to contact them.

I was told that he had no authority to deal with anything other than as a Moderator on this Forum.

I was told that I either took what the Escalation Person offered or nothing at all.

I was lied to by him and many, many XPS support representatives. Only after 8 months of continually contacting Dell, being promised everything and being delivered nothing, I started to give up.

I then remembered the "principle" of all this, and contacted Dell again for about the 50th time.

After looking the record up on the defective system, Dell finally sent me another system, not configured as my original system. This happened two times.

I now have an XPS420 system that is no better than the original system.

I have given up on Dell ever doing the right thing about this. I have wasted far too much of my time to continue.

Dell has won this battle, but lost the war. I will never deal with Dell again.

I do have principles, and Dell seems to not have principles.

Good luck, you will need it, but I think you will prevail.

35 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 14:00

I got an XPS mousepad with mine, I ordered the cheapest 420 available but didn't receive anything besides the mousepad.

799 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 15:00

Hello Chris_M, This is not about the XPS420 Goodies Package, but I have an issue with my XPS420 dealing with a Raid0 array.

Every time I set up a Raid array and install the OS, after a few days the OS becomes corrupted and I have data loss, hangups, slow response, etc.

I can remove the array and create a new array, reinstall the OS and all is good for a short period of time and the same problems arrise.

This has occured on two different XPS420 systems. The hard drives are the same make, model, capacity as the original drive.

I suspect a defect in the Intel chipset since the system will not accept the latest drivers from the Dell site.

Since I have experienced so much trouble with the Raid0 array, I now use a single drive and have no issues at all. 

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 15:00

Kunkle_W,

I do not think he lied. He was just unaware that we stopped bundling those goodies. Those goodie items are not on the XPS 420 Parts list so we cannot send them out.

19 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 16:00

@DELL-Chris M wrote:
Kunkle_W,

I do not think he lied. He was just unaware that we stopped bundling those goodies. Those goodie items are not on the XPS 420 Parts list so we cannot send them out.

Chris:

I'm sorry, but I work retail as a Customer Service Manager.  If an employee of mine tells a customer one thing (even if it is incorrect), we explain it was a mistake and then honor the mistake as a one-time courtesy.  We don't say "oh well, too bad" and expect the customer to just accept that resolution.

This has now been compounded by the fact that I was finally able to unpack my new system fully last night to set it up and the left side of the tower has a big scratch/gouge on it (photos here: http://tinyurl.com/order471700736-photo1 and http://tinyurl.com/order471700736-photo2).

Given that this entire order experience has been horrendous (I was originally treated incredibly rudely by the sales agent who spoke to me with nothing but sarcasm and disdain; the phone sales agent I worked with OVERCHARGED ME and told me I had to wait a week or so for the credit to process; I didn't receive the XPS accessory kit that I was told was included with the systems; and now the system is scratched), I have conceded to just accept the damage as is and not chance an exchange ...

I am sincerely worried about processing an exchange and something else going wrong.  I just don't have a good feeling about it ... I can just see it not getting back to Dell or something and I get charged for it ... or, I have to send back the entire system (monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.) rather than just the tower ... or there will be further damage to the new one ... or they send me a refurb. instead of a new system ... the list continues with the worries now in my head ....

I provided Customer Care with the photographs above and said I would gladly keep the system if they could offer me a discount of 5%, rather than chance an exchange and they told me that it would not be possible.  I didn't think 5% on a system that cost over $2300 (after sale discount ... $3166 before discount) was unreasonable for keeping a damaged tower case.

Instead, they said they would be happy to exchange my system for me ... and that it would arrive in 8 business days after shipping (even though the original order had NBD shipping).

As mentioned in this thread before, my last system I ordered (Inspiron E1705) two years ago also had issues from the get go ... hence the palmrest needing replaced.  Now, my "top-of-the-line" XPS system was shipped with a large scratch/gouge on it ... where was quality control when they were packing the system?  I noted it the minute I lifted the unit out of the box and sat it upright ... 

I've really lost my trust in Dell.

Sincerely,

William K. Kunkle, Jr.

Edited to correct typographical error(s).

Message Edited by Kunkle_W on 10-03-2008 01:33 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 16:00

Kunkle_W,

If there was a part number, I would send the goodie items out. There isn't one. Since that scratch is on the left side, a tower exchange is the only way to correct it. I would take them up on the exchange option. They will setup the tower exchange and you would not send the original back to us until you received the replacement.

19 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 17:00

@DELL-Chris M wrote:
Kunkle_W,

If there was a part number, I would send the goodie items out. There isn't one. Since that scratch is on the left side, a tower exchange is the only way to correct it. I would take them up on the exchange option. They will setup the tower exchange and you would not send the original back to us until you received the replacement.

Chris:

Thank you for your advice.  I did not mean that I felt it was your responsibility to send me the XPS items.  I was just using this forum as a place to vent and get advice.  I appreciate your willingness to help (if you could).

I'm tempted to take them up on the exchange option, but something in my gut says "don't do it - there will be yet another problem either with the exchange unit or the exchange procedure itself" ... I am currently using the damaged system ... I needed a system ... as I decide what to do .... I have until 10/18 to make a decision (the end of my 21 day return period).

Thanks,

William

28 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 18:00

I guess I was lucky, I received the package of goodies with my XPS 420 back in April. By package of goodies I mean: the leather bound binder and the mouse pad, I received the remote as well but only because I ordered the ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner.

19 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 22:00

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to go through with the exchange.

I sent an email to Customer Care just a few minutes ago with the requested information (confirmation of original shipping address; confirmation of shipping address for the replacement; description of extent of damage; and, noted whether or not the shipping box was damaged).

In the [collapse]original message sent to me, they said it would arrive within 8 business days and when they mail it out, they will send it via Next Business Day (since the original system was sent that method).

They also confirmed I will receive a BRAND NEW tower (not a refurbished one) - which was one of my primary concerns.  The system is not even a week old and I did not want to receive a refurb. for an exchange.

So, we'll see how things go after they respond to my email and let me know the ball is rolling.

Edited to fix typographical error(s).

Message Edited by Kunkle_W on 10-03-2008 07:18 PM
[/collapse]
No Events found!