Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2014 19:00

XPS 420 - HDD failed, trying to perform clean install of Vista on new HDD.

Hey everyone,

My HDD on my XPS 420 failed and I am trying to reinstall Vista using the disk that came with my machine back when I bought it. 

I purchased a new WD10EZEXAZ (1 TB Serial ATA HDD), have it mounted in the same slot as my old HDD (ST3750630AS *Barracuda 7200.11*). I startup the PC and goto the setup, it recognizes the HDD in the blue setup menu.

I then boot with the Vista CD that came with my system. I proceed as instructed via the following url: 

Vista Clean Install

After its copied files, expanded files, installed features, installed updates...it goes to 'Completing Installation' and throws an error: "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware." 

I have tried a few things I have seen posted on the internet, including trying to launch msoobe.exe via command line. When I've done that, it lets me setup a user...but ultimately I am sent back to this error message or another that tells me I will need to reinstall Windows.

I have read else where that certain HDDs may not be compatible with the disk Dell provides with my OEM machine. If thats the case, can someone advise? I really didn't want to spend another $100 on a Windows 7 disk, but I feel like that may be my only option...but even then I am not so sure it'll work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Tony

***UPDATE***
Doing some more research, I discovered my new HDD is an advanced format HDD...unsure if this has anything to do with my issues (per www.wdc.com/advformat Vista shouldn't need to do any work prior to OS being installed) but thought I would mention it.

Thanks again for any help.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2015 12:00

Seems I have found the solution to my own problem.

Issue was corrected by going into the BIOS and changing the SATA Port Mode to native IDE/Native/AHCI. After doing so, the install worked without any issues. Seems the Windows Installer didn't like the port mode being set to RAID.

Just thought I would post back incase anyone else had the same problem.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 1st, 2015 10:00

Using Windows Vista SP1 media and loading SATA drivers during installation will help. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-vista/

3 Posts

January 5th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the response Philip.

Does seem like the HDD is being recognized though, partitions are created on it and the disk is written to during the installation process.

Would the drivers still be needed in that case? If so, I am having a hard time identifying which to use.

Another thing I am wondering is if it has to do with the fact this HDD is 6 GB/s while the previous was 3 GB/s. 

No Events found!