Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2012 14:00

XPS 420 PSU upgrade

Hi

My XPS 420 has a PSU rating of 425W.  I'm thinking of upgrading my video card to 1 x nVidia GTX 580.  Nvidia specs recommends a minimum 600W PSU for the average system.  Will any GTX type PSU be ok or do I need a special DELL compatible version?  I noticed a warning on the internet that its only older Dell's with pentiums needed to be careful due to the differeing voltages.  However, my CPU is a Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHz.  So I'm not sure if I am restricted to Dell compatible PSU or not.  Anyone got any advice?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2012 14:00

Jeorne 

The XPS 420 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector, are compatible and can be installed.

Because the XPS420 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used, you should be able to buy a replacement from most local and online computer stores.

Note: You need a power supply, with five SATA power connectors.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2012 17:00

I forgot to ask, why does the XPS 420 need a PSU with 5 x Sata connections.  Most PSU's I'm looking at have 4 x Sata, although I'm still looking.

Jeorne

The motherboard has five SATA connectors and the XPS 420 supports five internal SATA drives.

Bev.

69 Posts

January 14th, 2012 15:00

Thanks

69 Posts

January 14th, 2012 15:00

I forgot to ask, why does the XPS 420 need a PSU with 5 x Sata connections.  Most PSU's I'm looking at have 4 x Sata, although I'm still looking.

159 Posts

January 15th, 2012 14:00

There is a potential issue with using a standard power supply.  The power supply needs to have two extra long SATA power cables and extra long PCI-Express power plug(s) in order to reach all the way down to the bottom of the case.  I suspect that a lot of after market power supplies will not have long enough cables.

Another option would be to buy Dell part# YN637 which is a 525w version that was used in the Precision T3400 and will fit properly and the cables are all the right length.  It's only rated for 525w but should provide more than enought power for your setup.  You also need the wiring harness with is Dell part# KP500.

69 Posts

January 15th, 2012 15:00

I'll check the cable lengths, although specs never give the cable lengths. I might need to buy extension cables for SATA & PCI-E (2.0), so that may not be a problem.

I need about 650 Watts to handle future ungrades.  Such as SLI, TV cards, second drive, SSD and HDD etc.  Also less heat should be produced on standard loads and save energy.  Heat can cause current instability and a sign of poor efficiency.  My 425 W PSU get quite hot at times, enough to heat up my room.

I looked up part KP500 (Harness/UPC, 525W, Tank), any idea what it is?  I think UPC is just to cope with power loss.  I thought that was external to the computer.

159 Posts

January 15th, 2012 18:00

If you go with the Dell 525w power supply that I mentioned above you would have to get the KP500 wiring harness to go with it:

69 Posts

January 15th, 2012 21:00

Thanks.

I opted for the Corsair HX Series 650 Watt ATX EPS12V to go with the new nVidia GTX 580.  At least thats what the Corsair PSU calculator recommends. A bit pricey but more watt per £ than the Dell 525W and it would have been underpowered or just borderline.  It has a modular design with long cables, whisper silent fan, which is important for me. Runs cool and Less costly of energy bills. 7 year warranty!

Nearly went for the acclaimed and cheaper 750 TX Enthusiast model, but users complain of a noisy fan for the price (40 dB) and it wouldn't take another GPU of the same model as the GTX 580 if I opted for SLI later on.  Should be set for SDD and TV tuner now at least.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 16th, 2012 10:00

Jeorne

Sounds great, Corsair makes a fine power supply, wise choice on using a modular unit.

Bev.

12 Posts

April 13th, 2013 21:00

I know this is an old forum but Jeorne, did you ever have a problem with the Corsair HX Series 650 Watt ATX EPS12V to . Also did you have to buy any special kits to go with it?

No Events found!