Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2008 16:00

XPS 420 - Random Freezing/ RAID/ Internet problems

I have had my XPS 420 since January and have been experiencing several problems with it. Generally it has been running great, but it has been freezing randomly every couple of days - sometimes just on the desktop as well as in the middle of games. I cant do anything except turn it off on the main power switch on the computer itself and start over. I have also had my RAID O failing and had a lot of internet connection issues, though this could be a compatibility issue with vista and my router/ wireless card.

I have tried many of the solutions suggested on the forum: BIOS/ chipset updates, graphics card updates, drivers, Intel Matrix update to 7.8 and so on, none of which have solved my problems. I don't really want to reinstall the OS and all that unless I know for sure it will solve the issue - a lot of people have said this has done little to help. I have seagate hard drives so the HD firmware update for the samsung drives wont help either.

Can anybody think of anything else that I could try? Would a fresh OS install without RAID help? Is this an issue with the RAID or Intel Matrix controller? It is crazy that Dell have been selling these systems with such problems, that so many people seem to have been experiencing. Any help with my internet connect would also be much appreciated!

(My specification is as follows: XPS 420, Viiv Q6600, 3GB ram, 2x320GB Seagate HDD's Raid 0, Nvidia GeForce 512mb 8800gt, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music, 16X DVD+/-RW, 19-in-1 Media Card Reader, Vista Home Premium)

23 Posts

April 5th, 2008 16:00

You are not alone - Dell XPS on RAID0 fail. See my thread: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&message.id=48303

My advice: Back up everything and dont do what I did (trust the machine at all). Then  reformat, remove raid and have 2 x 500gb drives, as is traditional, and always worked well.

Good luck!

Message Edited by Rob-Morgan on 04-05-2008 12:27 PM

10 Posts

April 6th, 2008 12:00

Did you have any problems with freezing or anything like that? I just dont want to reformat, set up the HD's without RAID and so on only to find the freezing issue hasnt been resolved - the RAID failing seems to have disappeared since I set the drive to normal (fingers crossed...) - but the freezing has only been getting worse!

23 Posts

April 6th, 2008 18:00

Yes - I had freezing and crashing regularly when it was on RAID0. This eventually led to complete failure, even after using the Samsung updated firmware. Take the risk of leaving it if you wish but make sure you back your data up or you will be sorry.

I am now waiting for Dell to replace my drives and have set Windows Vista up on one of them to tide me over until the new drives arrive. I havent had any freezing, locking or problems at all. Proves the old systems work best.

23 Posts

April 6th, 2008 19:00

Although the failure of RAID prompted me to, I went about it by...

On the screen with the RAID system (at startup) - displaying the drives in the RAID setup, I pressed Control+I (as directed) and entered the RAID management screen. I then deleted the RAID setup - one of the options. Of course this causes deletion of all information on both drives so back everything up beforehand. Very important!

I then disconnected my broken drive (I knew which one it was by which one was no longer being recognised by the system and the Serial No of the one still displayed as being part of the RAID array on the screen mentioned above.

I then literally booted the system up with the Vista installation disc in the drive and followed the instructions on screen to load it onto the remaining 500gb drive.

It all worked well. Good luck if you decide to do it. I wont be going back to RAID when the new drives are delivered.

10 Posts

April 6th, 2008 19:00

I will give a reinstall a go when I have time - are replacement drives necessary or will I be ok with my seagates? If I use the dell utility disk for the reinstall will it give me the option to set the harddrives as non-RAID or do i have to do this some other way? - I want to avoid installing the intel matrix controller at all if I can...

10 Posts

April 6th, 2008 21:00

Ok thanks. I'm not sure if the drive is 'broken' as such - sounds to me like its just the RAID controller mucking me around. I havent had the RAID failing error for about a week now but have several freeze ups. I only hope a reformat will solve the freezing.

I may call Dell Support to see what they think unless a forum rep could help me out at all? Should I get my hard drives replaced, and will reformatting without RAID definately solve the freezing issue?

No Events found!