Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 18th, 2008 20:00

XPS 420 and 425w power supply

As of today, the only way to get the 425w power supply is to order the High Powered Performance Bundle. This is the only bundle that has the 768MB nVidia 8800GTX video card.
Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 02-01-2008 08:07 AM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 18th, 2008 15:00

farmboy_45,

I just sent you an email.

50 Posts

March 18th, 2008 15:00

yes I know and I have writen a letter to dell computer corporation in round rock tx.

all i need to do is put a stamp on it and send it. why i'm waiting...I don't know

the out come of all this is this I bought a high end dead card for 536.24 plus 10.00 to send it visiontek and i don't know yet how much more this will cost me.

if your not aware of the (stall tackticks) that dell is known for i would send you all the doc. i have includeing the case number so you can check on it yourself. only i don't know how to do that. but if you e-mail me i can foward all that to you but i think i need to pm in order do send that info becouse the last time i tried the post was removed Mmmmm.

anyway i will get a working card back it just cost me a bit more then the average person will pay unless they buy from dell and the card is dead.

I may have said stuff out of anger the last few days but now that visiontek will fix the card for me i don't feel as bad but i won't just jump in there and buy from dell 

becouse i'm worried that dell will do this again, I have looked all in the forum and found many people that had the same (stall tackticks) from dell. you must have seen some of them by now.

My friend is looking into the two new systems for me sadly they wont be dell but i still have this computer and i like it very much i just wont upgrade thru dell thats all. no big deal any more.

now that this is almost over, visiontek sent me my rma number now all i have to do is  send my card in

to visiontek.  

1 Message

March 31st, 2008 04:00

Okay..here is my deal

Just got a dell xps 420 intel quad core

3gig of ram

ati 2400 hd 128

375w power.

This graphics card needs to be upgraded to play some games. The overall speed of the computer is nice except the card. Cant play some games that i want to. So i want the 8800GT nvidia card(stats req 400 or 425 psu). Is this going to work and work okay? Also i see this guy having to run his bio's for the new card. How do you do that? i'm new at this. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

Message Edited by Epicus on 03-31-2008 12:32 AM

1.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 11:00

@Epicus wrote:

Okay..here is my deal

Just got a dell xps 420 intel quad core

3gig of ram

ati 2400 hd 128

375w power.

This graphics card needs to be upgraded to play some games. The overall speed of the computer is nice except the card. Cant play some games that i want to. So i want the 8800GT nvidia card(stats req 400 or 425 psu). Is this going to work and work okay? Also i see this guy having to run his bio's for the new card. How do you do that? i'm new at this. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

Message Edited by Epicus on 03-31-2008 12:32 AM

The 375 watt dell psu is more than enough for an 8800 GT.

4 Posts

April 3rd, 2008 23:00

For what is worth I had a added a nvidia 9600GT. The  XPS  420  Did not like it and it

said so when I turned the computer on! Warning Isufficient power to run Video card, we have reduced power. This may cause damage to your computer!

After I updated the bios the message went away!

Go To: www.dell.com/support     and down load the latest bios driver for the XPS 420.  Run it as soon as it is finished downloading it will reboot your computer and install the new bios. Which should end any problems your are having with your video card!

I found this out the hard way after I purchased a 425 watt dell supply that I did not need? 

Bob

w5bw@msn.com 

50 Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

couldn't find anything above 8800??? dell must be out

50 Posts

April 4th, 2008 00:00

too late for me LOL I update to the corsire 620 but now i'm looking for a good gameing video card

for my system

23 Posts

April 4th, 2008 06:00

My nvidia 9600GT does not like the 375 watt supply at all and the XPS 420 says so when I turn the cpu on.

"WARNING INSUFFICIENT POWER TO RUN THIS VIDEO CARD" Continued use could damage your computer. We have reduced power to your video card!

After I updated the bios the message went away! 

Please explain how if you got warnings stating that your system has insufficient power to run the 9600GT with the 375w PSU, that upgrading the BIOS suddenly gives your system the power it needs to run this card? How does upgrading the BIOS to the latest version increase the power output of the PSU ? That makes absolutely no sense. Sounds like some code was added to the latest BIOS revision to simply make the warning message disappear. But adding code to delete the warning message does NOT fix the underpowered PSU problem.

(by the way, the minimum power requirement for the 9600GT is a 400w PSU).

Message Edited by RetRoe on 04-04-2008 05:40 AM

1.4K Posts

April 4th, 2008 10:00

@RetRoe wrote:

Please explain how if you got warnings stating that your system has insufficient power to run the 9600GT with the 375w PSU, that upgrading the BIOS suddenly gives your system the power it needs to run this card? How does upgrading the BIOS to the latest version increase the power output of the PSU ? That makes absolutely no sense. Sounds like some code was added to the latest BIOS revision to simply make the warning message disappear. But adding code to delete the warning message does NOT fix the underpowered PSU problem.

(by the way, the minimum power requirement for the 9600GT is a 400w PSU).

It's due to a communication issue between the psu and gpu not an uderpowered psu, the same issue was seen with the 8800 GT and GTS ( G92 chips ),this is the reason a bios update fixes the problem.

By the way, the 9600 GT has a 26 amp minimum system power recommendation, it's not all about watts. 

1.1K Posts

April 4th, 2008 14:00

Farmboy,

don't both buying the video card from dell since they won't provide anyother special support for that particular product.  Any online retailer with a good price will be fine.

kip

XPS 410
Intel C2D E6700 2.66
2 GB @ 667mzh (2 dimms)
Dual 80GB Raptors @ 10,000 RPM in RAID 0 (silenced)
320GB hdd
160GB hdd
NVIDIA 7900GS Zalman VF-900cu
ATI TV Wonder 650 HD
Diamond 24-bit 7.1 surround, w/ dolby digital live
2407 Monitor
LG 42" 1080p
logitech G7 mouse, G15 keyboard

----------------------------------"GAME ON"-------------------------------

No Events found!