Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2008 14:00

XPS 420 freeze or hang issues

Hi, I bought a XPS 420 three weeks ago and I've a lot of freezing problems during games. I can play for a few minutes to a few hours before my screen locks up, and the sound cuts out or repeats 2-3 seconds of sound over and over from just before the lock up. I even got a couple of black screen flash in the desktop. In the both case I have to physically turn off the computer. I have updated the all the latest drivers, bios and Intel chipset, but I still have the freezing issue. I have been researching the problem and have been dealing with Dell Tech Support for a couple of weeks now and they promised me that they will replace my motherboard, memories and hard drives. I just wonder if this will solve the problem, because there is a lot of XPS 420 users who have the same issues?

PS. Sorry, I know my english is bad

Power Supply: 375

Windows Vista 32bit

Intel Quad Core 6600

4 gb ram (667)

320 x 2 gb hard drive

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

TV tuner/Dell Xcelerator

Message Edited by Tidis on 04-26-2008 08:23 AM

244 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 16:00

are you using drivers from dells site?

those are not the most recent if you are. download them directly from nvidia.

also, what games are you trying to play, and at what settings. The XPS420 is a multimedia computer, not a gaming computer, possibly settings are to high.

you could also have a bad video card, what are you video card temps.

You need to post more information to get help.

705 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 17:00

if your drives are samsung - you could try the firmware update here. I have not had the freezing issue, but others that have had the issue have used this patch... Search 420 samsung within this forum and you will see others with issues that may or may not match yours...
Message Edited by packerFan07 on 04-23-2008 01:59 PM

552 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 22:00

I have had my XPS420 for about 4 months now and had all the issues you have described. I finally updated the BIOS to A04 and did a fresh install from the Vista Disk that came with the system. Went to the Dell site and downloaded and installed all the newest drivers except Nvidia. Went to the Nvidia site and downloaded their newest drivers. This solved all but one of my problems. I had a very old graphics program installed and every time I used it I got a BSOD. I uninstalled it and replaced it with a Vista compatible program and I can tell you I have not had one single problem since. System is fast, perky, stable and could not ask for more. I feel like the A04 BIOS update and the fresh install from the Vista disk was what solved the issues.

22 Posts

April 26th, 2008 12:00

Thx for all the helps. I have installed the A04 and it does solve the freezing problem a little bit. However I still get “colour-hang” problems in the desktop.  I have not tried to clean install vista, but I will try before changing the hard wares.
Message Edited by Tidis on 04-26-2008 08:24 AM
No Events found!