Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2008 11:00

XPS 420 unable to start, blue screen, unrecoverable

Okay, been working this for more than 3 weeks. Began with monitor always clicking back into powersave mode when I left the computer to sleep -- so I'd end up having to power off by holding the power button in. Not good. Then one day I get a rug-looking screen on boot up, lots of greenish lines horizontal ways, but acted normal until I got a blue screen error and it re-booted and I could not recover except in safe mode. Tried some things -- nothing worked -- occasionally the computer boots up fine, or after some startup repair, etc. I could get it to work. Updated my NVIDIA drivers, wasn't the issue -- updated every driver I could, changed boot sequence to get USB out of the first boot spot -- (saw that in another post) -- seemed to work for 1 boot, now, back to same problem. ONe error I had listed indicated a virus, so I updated checker, ran full scan, nothing. I am not on Vista SP1 yet, as I tried to update and it failed to complete install. I wonder if I am stuck in between Vistas. I am prepared to restore to factory default -- just figured I'd check and see if anyone had an last ideas before I wack the system. Oh, I ran diagnostics on everything -- memory fine, hardware fine. I did get some USB related error codes, so I did the boot sequence change.....other than that, everything checks out fine. As a matter of fact, when I run all the diagnostics, via F12, the computer will eventually boot up fine. (That would only be about a 12 hour boot process!). Thanks. AC
Message Edited by AdamC6Pocono on 10-23-2008 08:21 AM
Message Edited by AdamC6Pocono on 10-23-2008 08:24 AM

175 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 13:00

The usual suggestion seems to be:

Unplug EVERY USB decive and restart the computer and see if that helps.  The XPS 420 under Vista without SP1 has some serious issues with some USB ports.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rafa.

October 24th, 2008 00:00

Rafael,

Thanks for the tip -- it worked -- well, sort of.  I unplugged the three items I had in the USB slots.  Computer booted up fine, I added them back one by one and it still booted up fine.

I  played and worked on it all day, shut down, just came home to get back on it -- and back to same old problem.  Obviously I tried unplugging and rebooting.  Nope, not the fix this time.

SOaB -- this is making me nuts.  It is running the hour-long version of startup repair now, which typically allows me back in once, but doesn't result in any actual fix.

If I get back in, I'll make sure I update to VISTA SP1 and see if that helps.   

I'll keep trying   -- thanks for your help! 

October 24th, 2008 14:00

Nice try .... USB unhook worked....once.  Then back to same problem.

The inconsistency of the problem is what is vexing -- sometimes it boots up fine.  After I run diagnostics, or allow the "long startup repair" to run, I can get it to boot up a few times -- then back to problem again.

Can we even take an educated guess whether it is software or hardware?  

"Upgraded" to Vista SP1 given your feedback on Vista and USB.  Didn't seem to make a difference.  

Could it be a virus?  I ran a scan with updated PCillin and found nothing.  

Ugh.... 

175 Posts

October 24th, 2008 15:00

Adam,

At this point I'll look into a factory restore, or, perhaps even safer, a clean Vista install (considering all the issues: only leave 2GB of memory until process is finished, etc.) and then a quick upgrade to SP1 before hooking any USB device but the keyboard and mouse on it, just to be safe and discard a Hardware malfunction.

Other than that, my only suggestion would be to try to turn it on always wihtout any USB hooked and see if that fixes things.

What USB devices do you have regularly hooked to the system?

Rafa.

October 24th, 2008 18:00

Only USB I use are mouse and Keyboard.  I had the stupid camera on my monitor hooked up and didn't know it.

Funny, just ran startup repair, it said "no can fix" -- then I tried booting up again and BINGO -- no problem -- it seems to boot after running lots of diagnostics......like the act of running them someone straightens out the problem temporarily.  I could probably reboot 10 times in a row now, but if I leave it off overnight, no dice.  

I'm going to do the Dell Tech Chat thing and see what they say -- but I think your recent advice is the way to go.  

You've been a big help in moving my brain through this.....atleast I've learned quite a bit.  

175 Posts

October 25th, 2008 07:00

You're welcome!

I am sorry I have not been more efficient in finding something that may actually fix the issue instead of suggesting even more testing, I know how tiresome and enervating those testings can be when you suspect a hardware/software issue.

I hope you get your computer fixed as soon as possible, let us know!  Best of luck

Rafa.

October 25th, 2008 13:00

Talked to someone at Vista forums and they are suggesting it is the BIOS and/or MB chipset.  They say I need to update those before going to factory restore.

I've never done that before.....heard it is hard (reading about it when I'm done here) -- what do you think -- should I have tried that already?

BTW -- what is killing me is that right now, I got it through my convulted boot process and it is working fine -- and I have a great game of Medieval Total War II going as the Templar Knights.....they need my leadership...I can't be stuck doing this computer repair stuff!  :smileywink:

175 Posts

October 25th, 2008 17:00

LOL!

Well, the Bios Update is as "simple" as double clicking an EXE provided by Dell.  The issue is that if something goes wrong with the flashing process you could end up with an unusable motherboard.

What BIOS version do you have installed in your system?  Latest BIOS version is A06, I received mine with A03 I think and I'm sorry to say I don't know which but one of the updates really helped a lot with the USB devices, but really couldn't tell which one.

Let us know which BIOS you have.  If you are willing to do the Software issues first I think there is a better chance of a successfull BIOS flash than flashing the BIOS with a conflicting machine, but I could be mistaken.

Rafa.

Message Edited by Rafael Polit on 10-25-2008 01:36 PM

October 26th, 2008 01:00

Did the BIOS update -- I was on A03 as well.

Did not seem to make a difference.  

Okay,here is the latest error code I'm following:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               9f

BCP1:                                                    00000003

BCP2:                                                    8430E830

BCP3:                                                    8430E830

BCP4:                                                    86AA8B48

OS Version:                                          6_0_6001

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini102508-01.dmp

C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-1720145-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4A1A.tmp.version.txt

Tried to follow that up and found this: (someone helping someone with an HP machine and just about same error).  

It begins to get into driver developer stuff after this....too much for me.  (and yes,only this computer is having this problem, 3 others in the house are fine, so not an external power issue).  

The 0x0000009F error specifically indicates a problem with a device driver
changing power state. The first parameter (00000003 ) indicates a device
object has been blocking an IRP (I/O request packet) for too long a time.
This implies that a device is not properly waking up and responding to
Windows.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795679.aspx

0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs
during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down,
or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

There's one document problem in Vista
applicable if you have any firewire
device attached.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929762&sd=RMVP
Otherwise, it's very difficult to pin down the driver. I suggest you check
HP for any and all newer device drivers and any possible BIOS update. If
that doesn't help, you should try to pursue it with HP.

175 Posts

October 26th, 2008 03:00

OK,

Given those errors, there may a path to try:  reseat all the cards in the mainboard!  That would be the Graphics card, a modem, a wireless card, an audio card, or any extra card you have installed.  Also verify the connectors of both power supply and data to the front panel drives and devices.

Maybe you have a card that is only "a little" loose and it works sometimes and others dont?

It would take about 10 minutes and could save you from a lot of trouble :).

Rafa.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 27th, 2008 12:00

AdamC6Pocono,

List all the USB devices you have plugged into the PC and the USB ports used.
No Events found!