Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2009 11:00

XPS 420 upgrade

I'm thinking about upgrading the memory on my XPS 420. I hear that the maximum amount it can handle is 8GB dual channel at DDR2 800. I was thinking about buying four of the Kingston HyperX 2GB at Newegg.com, is this the biggest and fastest ram upgrade available for the 420 and is it even compatible?  First I will need to upgrade to Win 7 64bit. There is also a 5/12/09 BIOS update available, should this be installed before the update and is there any risk involved?

One more quick question: what is the maximum number of internal hard drives the 420 supports?   Thanks!

1.7K Posts

October 29th, 2009 11:00

You need to use a Configurator to get compatible memory that is guaranteed to work.  Since Newegg's configurator does not list the XPS 420, then I would look at Crucial memory HERE.   This should be the correct link HERE.  Sometimes Dells do not like Kingston memory and the Ballistix would be similar to what you are looking at with the Kingston.  Most memory manufacturers will recommend that you have the latest BIOS version prior to installing new memory.  There is always a risk in updating the BIOS.  A failed installation will render your computer useless.  So far, I have not had any such bad luck.  If your current BIOS is not that old, I would not worry about the update.

The XPS 420 can support up to 3 internal hard drives I do believe using a additional flexbay up top by your optical drive.

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 12:00

Anytime you use more then 4GB you need to upgrade to 64 bit version of windows. You dont really need to upgrade before you install the memory, windows just wont see it. As for the BIOS update, that also wont matter in the case of upgrading your memory, but it wont risk anything if you update it beofre or after.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&category_id=6597&mfgpid=194056&chassisid=-1&~ck=anav

October 29th, 2009 13:00

So is this ram completely compatible with the 420? Is the 420 compatible SDRAM? Is it worth the extra money?   Thanks!

October 29th, 2009 15:00

1.7K Posts

October 29th, 2009 18:00

How about this: 2GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module?

You are not using the memory advisor.  HERE is the memory that is compatible.

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 19:00

I have the same machine (XPS 420) and upgraded to Corsair XMS2 Rams a few months ago. They are running great at 800 MHZ (8GB on Windows 7 x64).

October 31st, 2009 10:00

You are not using the memory advisor.  HERE is the memory that is compatible.

Thanks JMICHAEL, but the Crucial tool isn't going to be a lot of help because they still think the XPS 420 will only hold 4 gigs. It'll hold 8, if you bought one recently.

Does anyone here know if the Crucial 2GB Ballistix would be completely compatible with the 420? What is DRR2 PC2-6400 mentioned in the product specs?

No Events found!