Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2008 13:00

XPS 420 won't boot - hangs right after Dell logo

I woke up this morning to turn my computer on and it won't boot!  It turns on and shows the Dell logo and then hangs right after and only shows a blinking cursor on the screen.

Any ideas?  I have some urgent work I need to complete, this is the worst timing ever for my Dell to do this.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Message Edited by funkmasterta on 10-13-2008 10:02 AM

51 Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

Is it possible that you have it set to check disk? Any automatic scans going on? I have Dell Tune Up on my 420 and it has an option to scan the disk at next boot-up, or even optimizing the registry or something. Give it some time and see what happens.  Do you hear your drives spinning?

Good luck!

51 Posts

October 13th, 2008 16:00

It sounds more like a hardware problem.  Were you able to figure it out? Let us know what it was!

68 Posts

No, that's not it.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  I'm on chat w/Dell Tech support now.  I hope it's not a bad mobo or cpu like the other guy who posted about his xps410 on here.

This kind of shatters my confidence in Dell XPS, I paid so much more for an XPS machine and the quality behind the XPS brand because I need my hardware to be reliable for work.  My machine was bought in July so it's just a few months old.

Actually, it could also be a Windows Vista problem.  I have XP running on my XPS m1330 and it's been running great since Jan of this year, when I bought it.

Dell needs to provide compatibility for XP for their machines.  I would gladly go back to XP, Vista isn't worth the uncertainty and headache.

Message Edited by funkmasterta on 10-13-2008 12:07 PM

68 Posts

After over an hour w/Dell Tech we found out what the problem was.....MY STUPIDITY!

I feel so stupid but glad at the same time that it wasn't a major hardware problem like this guy had:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=84412

The problem was that I had a microSD card adapter plugged into an external USB card reader and THAT was preventing my machine from booting up properly.

I usually keep that same microSD card adapter plugged into my m1330 SD slot just to store it there and it never has problems booting up.

But both the tech and I forgot to unplug ALL USB devices before troubleshooting.  So, that's the moral of the story....UNPLUG ALL USB DEVICES before troubleshooting.

I'm really happy this was a minor glitch and I didn't have to do any motherboard swaps...whew!

Hope this helps other people to avoid this stupid mistake.  :smileytongue:

Oh and yes, my faith has been restored in XPS!

Message Edited by funkmasterta on 10-13-2008 12:53 PM

89 Posts

Hey,

for me it sounds more like a software issue. If the the BIOS is running well and a HW issue was detected the 4 Diag lights should shown the Error.

Diag lights on the XPS420 are located on the left side from the Miniview Display.

Look at the Manual for error codes if any are shown.

Disconnect all external HW like esata HDD, USB sticks, USB HDD´s, Printers etc.

Try after that a restart. Maybe it works out for you.

Have you try to enter the BIOS? Is everthing shown well? Like CPU, Memory and SATA Devices?

It is possible that a SATA cable is not correct connected. If you dont see any SATA devices in the Bios, just open the case and check all SATA cables on bothe sides.

Maybe this helps....

cu

dschieses

51 Posts

Oh my! I should have thought of that.  Just a couple of weeks ago, my daughter-in-law called me with the exact same problem and I gave her all of my trouble-shooting knowledge over the phone and nothing worked. So I told her to call Dell, and while she was holding, she spied her SD card in her reader.....

Guess I need to start thinking of that right off the bat!

Glad it was nothing else.  ENJOY!

799 Posts

October 13th, 2008 17:00

I have experienced this with Windows XP as well. In a Corporate system, the employee had inserted a camera SD disk in a system that ran 24 hours every day.

The SD card had been in this system for weeks without issues.

Then the power to the building went off and when it came back up, the system was turned on and it would not boot.

I was called and it gave me a "What's Going On" moment, until I found the culprit.

Lesson learned.

213 Posts

October 14th, 2008 08:00

Hey, maybe this is a great security feature to put in machines when away. Slip a SD card in the card reader, and maybe have a neutered bootable MS-DOS installed to it what would have some sort of text game set to run after boot-up! :smileyvery-happy:

Or better yet, have it launch your video camera and take photos while you're away, and see if you had any visitors. :smileysurprised:

No Events found!