Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2016 12:00

XPS 430 desktop PC fails to POST

Yesterday I started my computer. The power went on, then the hard drive activity light on the top of the computer lit up for about 10 seconds and then went off. The power light remained on and the power lights on the mouse and keyboard remained lit. The monitor remained black. All start-up activity ceased. Any suggestions where the problem is, and how to fix it? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 27th, 2016 12:00

Do you see anything on the screen, like a blinking white  underline ( _ ) in upper left corner? Does the monitor's power button come on and then change to its "Standby" color?

Can you test this monitor and video cable on a different PC or different monitor and cable on this PC?

Assuming the monitor checks out, the next logical thing to test would be the video card.

1. Power off unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  2. Open case and remove motherboard battery (see manual)
  3. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  4. Carefully reseat video card in the slot
  5. Carefully reseat RAM modules and any other PCI cards in their slots too
  6. Use canned air to clean out the dust bunnies
  7. Reinstall battery and close case
  8. See if it boots now

2 Posts

May 27th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for your suggestions. I haven't tried them yet but will shortly. Concerning the monitor: the screen is completely black, except sometimes (not always) several minutes after turning the machine on, the monitor will display the message it is entering Power Saving Mode (the same message I got previously when the computer entered sleep mode). I've always had to turn the monitor on manually. Once it's on (now and previously when the computer was working) it's color remains constant until I manually turn it off.

No Events found!