Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

118 Posts

May 16th, 2009 10:00

OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Model# OCZ3X1333LV6GK  1.5v ~ 7-7-7-20

Many thanks. As the specs seem compatible, though the P is not switchable (?) and the price temporarily cheaper (through today only with the rebate =$51!  and the rebate on the X went away), I'll probably go this way, Platinum rather than Extreme.

OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

If you have time to comment on that decision, I'd appreciate it, because it kind of assumes you didn't notice that rather astonishing price.

212 Posts

May 16th, 2009 12:00

OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

Problem with this is it's actually rated at a stock 1.65v for these specs.  The ram I quoted was rated to run the specs at 1.5v, which is what the 435 series runs.  I'm sure of the MT running the ram at a stock 1.5v and almost sure the T is 1.5v as well. 

19 Posts

May 16th, 2009 14:00

Am I correct in assuming that only ATI video cards have these BSOD and driver issues?  No problems if I install an Nvidia card?

5 Posts

May 16th, 2009 14:00

Curious as to the question.   I have had enormous issues with the ATI 4870 card.   On a brand new system, I was getting Catalyst Control Center stopped working errors out of the box.   I did a complete uninstall of the ATI video drivers, and the ATI Catalyst Control Center and then reinstalled with the latest ATI 4870 drivers from the ATI site, then installed the latest version of the ATI Catalyst Control Center from the ATI site.   First of all, it was very painful even accomplishing this as the install procedures kept freezing up or running into problems.  I'm guessing this could have been due to the uninstall of the original ATI drivers and software not being a clean uninstall.   Anyway, it took me several iterations to finally get a clean install of the new ATI drivers and Catalyst software....    Should be good, right?   Wrong.   My system keeps freezing up and the only way out of it is a hard reset.     I have spent days on the phone with Your Tech Team from Dell and we are still at the same place.

Also FYI, what I just described was on a replacement system Dell shipped to me because the original 435T system I received had numerous problems out of the box (BSOD, the video problems and a host of other things I tried to troubleshoot with Dell for over two weeks).    To say I am at my wits end is an understatement.  Since this problem has now shown up on two brand new boxes, I have to believe someone else is seeing the same thing?

Desperate for help!

Also, FYI, I did update to the latest BIOS and did the typical things you would expect for troubleshooting a problem of this nature.

Colorado,

You are not alone. :emotion-6:

I am in a similar situation as you.  My computer(s') specs are:

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz) ;

ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5 1024M

6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

16x DVD+/-RW and 16x DVD-ROM,

Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio, 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive.

Dell 1505 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna

The first computer I ordered constantly froze and gave me BSODs intermixed with freezing.  Every time the screen seized up it could not be reached with
Ctrl-Alt-Delete and required a hard boot from the power button.  Tech support and I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the OS, all the drivers and
programs.  That took about 6 hours on the phone.  After that, it still crashed and froze.

I was able to have Dell send me a brand new replacement (of the same exact specs).  It came quickly, only took a week.

(The trick to getting someone who can arrange an exchange on the phone quickly is to tell them you want to return it.  When you get the person who will do
this for you, tell them you really want an exchange. This is what I did the first time, and learned the hard way after I spent 2 hours on the phone the second
time,after being passed around 30 times between departments and reps.)

Well, as I indicated, the replacement itself (the computer I am on right now) is exactly the same as the first--but worse!  The VERY FIRST bootup it froze before
it loaded up Windows.  When Windows did load up after a hardboot, it crashed when I tried to connect to the internet 1 minute later.  5 minutes later it crashed
when I switched users.  So I spent another 5 hours on the phone with Dell.  We did all the same things:  reinstall the OS, update drivers, Windows updates, etc.  This was two days ago.

Nothing fixed the problem.  it still crashes constantly.
So I went to bed feeling so sick again wondering-- why is this happening to me?  What is wrong with these computers?   With Dell?  This is unacceptable--- If you spend $15,000+ on something,
it should work, the first time!!  But 2 bad ones in a row???

Anyway, so after spending 2+ hours on the phone with Dell I finally found someone to exchange it for me.  First I found someone who wanted to send me a refurbished computer--- no way I said!!

So now I have two defunct 435ts at my house, and I am waiting on the third.

I don't understand this.  I have waited so long for this computer, and I know that once I get a good one it will be amazing-- and worth this agony.

Also, my rear audio port would not work initially, only the one in the front would.  After enabling some setting we finally got it to work.

Dell obviously has a serious problem to fix, and I hope that they become aware of what is going on.

The error message I got last time on the blue screen was:
***STOP: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000019, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA6001843180, 0x0000000000000004)  (clock interrupt was not received.....)

I'm not sure if are problems are related-- but it is frustrating regardless of what is causing the problem.

Please update me to what is going on with your situation.

Oh, and my first computer was ordered 4-8-09 and shipped 4-24-09,  the second computer was ordered on 5-8-09, and shipped 5-13-09. (Received the 14th or 15th)

-Kate

118 Posts

May 16th, 2009 15:00

[quote user="brookefox"]OCZ OCZ3P1333LV6GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz 6GB Platinum XTC Triple Channel Kits

Problem with this is it's actually rated at a stock 1.65v for these specs.  The ram I quoted was rated to run the specs at 1.5v, which is what the 435 series runs.  I'm sure of the MT running the ram at a stock 1.5v and almost sure the T is 1.5v as well. 

[/quote]

Right, but I keep seeing different numbers from different places on the same parts. At OCZ, all three are 1.65V (or 1.6V* or 1.65EVP*).

Thanks.

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Intel Core i7 Edition / XMP Ready Series / 3GB and 6GB Triple Channel Kits
Designed specifically for the Intel® X58 chipset / Core i7  
XMP Profile 1: 1333MHz 8-8-8-20 1.6*  
XMP Profile 2: 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 1.6V*  
Available 3GB and 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Unbuffered  
XTC Heatspreader**  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65V EVP**  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
3GB (3x1024MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3X1333LV3GK
6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3X1333LV6GK

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz / Platinum XTC / Triple Channel Kits / 6GB
The OCZ PC3-10666 triple-channel memory kit is designed specifically for the Intel® Core™ i7 processor / Intel® X58 Express Chipset.
1333MHz DDR3  CL 7-7-7-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)  
Available in 6GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Platinum Z3
XTC Heatspreader*  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65 Volts  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3P1333LVA6GK

OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz /Gold XTC / Triple Channel Kits / 3GB - 6GB - 12GB
The OCZ PC3-10666 triple-channel memory kit is designed specifically for the Intel® Core™ i7 processor / Intel® X58 Express Chipset
1333MHz DDR3  CL 9-9-9-20 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)  
Available in 3GB, 6GB, and 12GB Triple Channel Optimized kits  
Gold Z3 XTC Heatspreader**  
Lifetime Warranty  
1.65 Volts  
240 Pin DIMM
Part Numbers
3GB (3x1024MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV3GK  6GB (3x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV6GK  12GB (6x2048MB) T/C Kit PN - OCZ3G1333LV12GS

May 16th, 2009 17:00

Hey colorado and kate,

Other than CCC start error, I did not have problems until I downloaded new bios and updates from dell support. Sounds like your problems came from the factory and the unit never worked good........................Raymond

59 Posts

May 16th, 2009 17:00

CPU-Z reports 7-7-7-20 on my system.

118 Posts

May 16th, 2009 18:00

CPU-Z reports 7-7-7-20 on my system.

My remarkable sniffing surmises you would be running your X chips under profile 2.

But I guess I gotta pull the trigger. on the P's.

12 Posts

May 16th, 2009 19:00

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I ran into a couple of issues regarding expandability of the 435.  Other than these, I'm quite happy with the performance of my new desktop.

First, I ordered a 500 GB hard drive to augment the 750 GB HD that was stock.  When it arrived, there was no SATA cable or mounting screws.  I looked at the specs and found nothing to indicate that it was an OEM model.

Also, I had bought an ASUS XONAR Excellence sound card, only to find out later that there was no 4-pin power plug available, and that only two sound cards, both by Creative, are compatible with this model of Dell desktop.  So I had to return the ASUS card and pay a $30 restocking fee and $7 for shipping.  Now I have a Creative SB Fatal1ty card that works fine.

As to these problems, I'll take part of the hit for not asking first, but I made it clear to the support representative on chat that it was to be a second hard drive.  Perhaps if support were being handled from an English-speaking country (like the US!) the rep. would have picked up on that nuance and told me that I'd need to order mounting screws and a SATA cable.

As to the incompatibility of the sound card, isn't PCIe a standard?  Shouldn't any PCIe-compliant device work?

Thanks for the benefit of anyone's experience in these areas, and hopefully someone can learn from my experience.

Jim

59 Posts

May 17th, 2009 03:00

Jim,

No drives come with SATA cables bundled within the box, and there are spare mounting screws included for you to use when you open the case...just look around the drive cage and you'll see them. 

As to these problems, I'll take part of the hit for not asking first, but I made it clear to the support representative on chat that it was to be a second hard drive.  Perhaps if support were being handled from an English-speaking country (like the US!) the rep. would have picked up on that nuance and told me that I'd need to order mounting screws and a SATA cable.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 17th, 2009 05:00

Napageo,

I believe if you move the stick in slot 3 to slot 6, your have 8GB triple channel, according to this source:

http://icrontic.com/articles/what-is-tri-channel-memory

I have done this and CPU-Z says triple channel.

Yup, did just that, CPU-Z now says TRIPLE.

Found the Dell Service manual on-line (they used to put this in the box...) and it too says ORANGE slots first and then the BLUE, the second closest to the processor, which is Slot1. Slots from the processor are numbered 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, with the first 3 to be populated as 1, 3, and 5 (orange). The numbering change threw me off there, but the picture made it cleared. The slot 3 you mentioned is really slot 4 by the manual and slot 6 as you called it is slot 5.

The page you referenced is correct, but it is misleading in that one would think DIMM#1 should be filled before DIMM#2. Who thought up this numbering arrangement.

Anyway, thanks, I'm 'up to speed' now. Why Dell shipped it DUAL is beyond me?

12 Posts

May 17th, 2009 11:00

Thanks, Zerin.  I can appreciate that the SATA cable isn't included, since not everyone will want to add a second hard drive.  The PCIe thing still baffles me, though.

I didn't see any spare screws.  At any rate, I would have expected them to be located where the second HD would mount.  It's days like these that I really miss having CompUSA and Circuit City in town.  Newegg is good, and I can get delivery generally in 1-2 business days, but I'm like a kid with a new toy.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 18th, 2009 04:00

JM,

Thanks, Zerin.  I can appreciate that the SATA cable isn't included, since not everyone will want to add a second hard drive.  The PCIe thing still baffles me, though.

I didn't see any spare screws.  At any rate, I would have expected them to be located where the second HD would mount.  It's days like these that I really miss having CompUSA and Circuit City in town.  Newegg is good, and I can get delivery generally in 1-2 business days, but I'm like a kid with a new toy.

I just added a 2nd drive. Got it at Office Depot, see http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?fkey=wViTifnL4wgDnBtX2mJoivX&cbxRefine=314878&N=5+9988&Ntt=&Ns=&Ntk=&Ntx=&Nty= and it includes the SATA cable as well as screws and power supply cable. It was on sale last week for $10 less and my local store had it in stock.

There ARE screws in the case, at least mine had it. Right above the disk cage, on the removeable cage are 8 extra screws. 4 black for the removable area and 4 'silver' for the drives. It seems only one side of the drive needs to be *** in and I used 2 of the 4 'silver' screws and the drive is rigid and secure.

22 Posts

May 18th, 2009 06:00

I got my 435t about 3 weeks ago. It took almost a month to get it. Right out of the box I too encountered freezes and lockups. I reimaged it from the factory image on the D drive and got the same results within a couple of days. My profile would load and then it would hang for about 5 minutes. So I rebuilt it from scratch using the cd's that came with it and not using Dell's image. Haven't had a problem since.  Have the 4870 card with 1gb on it and 6gb in the box.

452 Posts

May 18th, 2009 06:00

I got my 435t about 3 weeks ago. It took almost a month to get it. Right out of the box I too encountered freezes and lockups. I reimaged it from the factory image on the D drive and got the same results within a couple of days. My profile would load and then it would hang for about 5 minutes. So I rebuilt it from scratch using the cd's that came with it and not using Dell's image. Haven't had a problem since.  Have the 4870 card with 1gb on it and 6gb in the box.

Let me get this straight, you re-imaged from Hard drive and continued to have problems. Did you format the drive when you loaded from the cd's or loaded on top of Dell's image? After the cd load, did you update any drivers?

TIA

No Events found!