Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 22:00

XPS 435 Owners Thread

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

8 Posts

January 26th, 2010 10:00

I've read about the PSU being too small as well on other sites. I just orded a refurb today, had a 15% off coupon and free shipping, so it seemed like a nice deal to me. I ended up paying about 740 total. It has the Nvidia GTX 260 card in it. I cant find anywhere listed that shows how much memory this card has. I see the newer systems have one with 1782mb on it, and some have half of that. I've also read that Dell has down clocked the card so it work with the 475W PSU. Is this a fact or assumption? If this is true can I not simply put a larger PSU in and reflash the card back to factory settings? This is the first system I've ever purchased like this as I usually build all my systems myself, i've just gotten tired of doing it and figured I'd give this a try.  I also got mine with 9GB of ram in it. So does that mean it's the triple channel ram? I saw lots of 8gb systems but I figured they were all the dual channel stuff and anything that was 6, 9, or 12gb was the triple channel. Is there a way to tell for sure once the system arrives? Thanks for any help.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

January 26th, 2010 17:00

I also got mine with 9GB of ram in it. So does that mean it's the triple channel ram? I saw lots of 8gb systems but I figured they were all the dual channel stuff and anything that was 6, 9, or 12gb was the triple channel. Is there a way to tell for sure once the system arrives? Thanks for any help.

From what I've been able to determine, the way the memory is installed (and amount) determines if it is dual or triple channel. There are 2 different colored pink and blue) slot sets for memory. If you place your memory in the PINK connectors first. Manual documentation states " The recommended memory configurations are: Matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 2, 4, and 6 and another matched memory modules installed in DIMM connectors 1, 3, and 5." I got 8MB's in my 435T, 4 2GB sticks. They came installed in the first 4 slots. These were slot 2, 1, 4, and 3 by the way. The system worked fine. I got CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and said I had DUAL CHANNEL memory installed. Note that at the time, Dell was calling this TRIPLE CHANNEL, they now say only DUAL CHANNEL I believe. Anyway, I researched Triple Channel and discovered if I place 3 of the sticks in slots 1, 3 and 5, it would be Triple channel. So I removed ALL sticks and put only 3 in those slots. Re-booted and CPU-Z declared I had triple channel memory. OK!!! Following Dell documentation I then turned off the system and inserted my last stick in slot1. Powered up, ran CPU-Z and it still says I have triple channel memory. Oh, I tried stuff with only 6GB's and then with 8GB's. To my eyes, didn't make any difference... I'm sure it does, but my spot testing didn't make it apparent that it did.

Irv S.

8 Posts

January 29th, 2010 08:00

Thanks for the info. Definitely makes sense to me. Is there a way to figure out how much memory is on the video card?

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

January 29th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the info. Definitely makes sense to me. Is there a way to figure out how much memory is on the video card?

I'm running W7 64 bit version and the Performance and Information tool tells me the graphics memory. ATI's Catalyst Control Center will also tell you. Many of the ATI cards only come with one memory configuration I think, so if you know the model number you can find the memory from the ATI website. Windows System Information tool under START -> ALL PROGRAMS -> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS will also show you the memory the card has. More than one way to skin a cat so to speak here.

Irv S.

March 27th, 2010 18:00

anyone can tell me how to use the RealTek sound connectors on the back panel to have digital 5.1 audio out to my Onkyo receiver? Thanks!

133 Posts

March 27th, 2010 19:00

Makes sense to me. I have a major issue in getting external hard drives to connect to xps 9000 via eSATA port.  Simply does not work, and this is after Dell sent an on-site tech who replaced the MB, and also sent me a new (refurbished C drive) which I replaced.

The "Has anyone taken delivery" thread is getting out of control - and far more people there are not owners... SO how about this new and improved XPS 435 Owner's Thread!?  Instead of posting 15 updates a day about delayed orders, newest deals, etc, how about we start a thread dedicated to the owners of this machine, and also a place where future owners can ask technical or performance questions about the machine.  There are a good amount of owners here, so let's build a community!

Any takers?

16 Posts

March 27th, 2010 19:00

anyone can tell me how to use the RealTek sound connectors on the back panel to have digital 5.1 audio out to my Onkyo receiver? Thanks!

Optical cable

March 27th, 2010 21:00

[quote user="saigonsmuggler"]

Optical cable

[/quote]

I look on the back of my 435 and it does not seem to have an optical out for sound (integrated RealTek sound).

118 Posts

April 7th, 2010 11:00

I've been having very many ATI driver failures of late and wonder what the current advice on updating the driver is for the 435T in particular (other than the standard as posted at the head of this forum). I say the driver fails because that is the message posted, presumably by the OS. The display may or may not have flickered once or twice or more; if it flickers off four or five times, Windows may shut down with a notice that the driver is at fault. Otherwise, SketchUp invariably crashes; some have said this is owing to poor OpenGL implementation in the drivers and intensive 3d requirements of SU. Generally I know it is advised to keep the drivers updated but I have always with this machine been loathe to do so owing to 'horror' stories related to same. Tips on the best way to update very much appreciated. The sad Dell driver update system (register, etc. ---> "service tag not supported"; no further advice) is dysfunctional for this. ATI Control Center and Windows presumably could handle it and it could be done manually. (Windows says the driver is up to date!!!) AMD variously says the correct ver is 10.2 or 10.3. Current ver is 8.533.

My impulse is to do as the Dell post advises with ver 10.3. Any other tips would be very much appreciated. I have not updated my bios (ver A07, 3.19.2009).

ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB
driver version: 8.533.0.0
Driver Packaging Version    8.533.2-080917a-070073C-Dell   
PCI Express 2.0

118 Posts

September 10th, 2010 21:00

Can I use one of the DVD eSATA cables to hook up an new internal hard drive while I wait for delivery of another cable?

118 Posts

September 11th, 2010 14:00

Elsewhere, I was told yes. How can I delete a (duplicate) post?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2010 15:00

brookefox

You cannot delete a post, only a forum Liaison can.

The best you can do, is edit the post and delete yourself and Type 'Deleted'.

To edit a post, click the 'pencil' icon.

Bev. 

118 Posts

September 11th, 2010 17:00

I was slow to get  'delete yourself'' but I think I understand you now.

Thank you.

~ Brooke

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2010 19:00

brookefox

:emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

December 21st, 2011 00:00

I have had my 435t for quite awhile, and I was wondering if anyone has the info for the front panel plugins.  Like HDD, reset, power, etc...Dell support does not give out this info.  They act like I am speaking a foreign language.  I just wanted to make some major changes to my PC, and asked a simple question, and got no answers...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!