Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 26th, 2008 17:00

XPS 630 Fan running at 100%. Need your help.

See my last post on this thread.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 05-08-2008 11:12 AM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

44 Posts

July 15th, 2008 00:00

When I did the Bios flash it froze when it said.  Flashing Bios Please Wait.  I just shut it down after 10 minutes.  But it says 1.0.7 and now I have Red and Blue lights and switch to white at 12am. 

155 Posts

July 15th, 2008 02:00

The 1.07 BIOS did nothing for me but lock up my computer...again.

@doctorpullit wrote:
All I know is Chris specifically stated "see if this helps the fan issue".  I wish it had of.  I'm currently online trying to configure a new rig.  Have any suggestions for a pre-built?

I'd suggest something NOT Dell.  Unless of course you like complete lack of customer service, getting the run around and false advertising.

32 Posts

July 16th, 2008 03:00

Gateway FX is the machine I would have gone with if I had not had good experiences with the last 5 Dells I purchased.  After this 630i experience I will not buy another Dell ever. 

51 Posts

July 20th, 2008 18:00

What happened? Did this thread go dead? Did the issue get resolved? Is everyone hanging out over at my630i.com?  I hope this issue hasn't been dropped with dell. I'll shoot over to my630i.com to see if there's some "news".

155 Posts

July 20th, 2008 18:00

This thread is pretty dead now but things are still going on at my630i.com.  Dell still hasn't resolved any of the issues and has in some cases made some problems worse with their "fixes".  The 630i will likely never be completely functional with all the hardware hacks Dell has done to the system and the low quality parts they've used, despite advertising to the contrary.  It's also abundantly clear that Dell isn't going to do anything of their own volition so I guess that means if you have problems you're best of pursuing other avenues to get your issues resolved.  Dell is probably hoping this matter will just fade out and die but I can assure you there are many things in the works that are far from just letting this die.

513 Posts

July 20th, 2008 19:00

Unfortuantely there isn't a single thread of information.  You need to keep track of the various threads addressing the latest ESA sfotware, Master I/O firmware, etc. such as Clicky

So far the latest BIOS (1.0.7), latest firmware update and latest ESA is working quite well for some, but there are still some bugs.

July 20th, 2008 23:00

yeah there was 2 new fixs that came out on 7/15.  I havent tested myself yet after installing them.  But its running fine "settings untouched" other than chaning the light color so far.  Has anyone done a real fan test saved to a custom setting yet?

thx

513 Posts

July 21st, 2008 00:00

Yes, a number of users have saved various fan settings in profiles, including profiles that automatically call up a different profile with launching a specific game.

I have profiles that call different overclocking settings (FSB, memory timings, etc.) and these work as well.  

As a side note, I like that a shortcut to a profile or double-clicking a profile loads it very quickly, without loading the nVidia performance console first.

So progress has been made but we are not there yet.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2008 02:00

I wanted to report back that replacing my IO board fixed the fan problem. I have been up an running for about a week now and is working good. I am currently running whatever the latest IO board they sent and BIOS version 1.0.7.

Given the problems with Dell Support, it was not easy for me to get this fixed (see my other posts), but this appears to be the problem.

Message Edited by jrmclennan on 07-20-2008 10:47 PM
Message Edited by jrmclennan on 07-20-2008 10:48 PM

51 Posts

July 21st, 2008 03:00

Hrmm. maybe a "fixed" IO board. Maybe one with the resistor moved to fix the HD blinking light?

Are there any descriptive numbers/letters signifying a version or model of the IO board? Or could you sneak a camera in the case to get a good shot of some, if not all of the IO board. I would like to compare. Maybe there's an updated IO board, or maybe even they sent you a 730 board. I'm curious.

74 Posts

July 21st, 2008 15:00

Chris, I have loaded the latest ESA Firmware and System updates (R192445, 176333, 176128, and 192448) and I have tried it with both Bios 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 and I have no problem creating and loading profiles, using nvProfile to change the color of the lights and change the speeds of the various fans from saved profiles.  I still have the known issue of the sliders not staying at the correct fan setting although the fans appear to run at the appropriate RPM.  However, I continue have problems with the computer locking up when I create a profile policy in the NVIDIA Control Panel.  I create the profile policy, reboot the computer than when I open the application either a game or folding at home the computer locks up as soon as you click on the application and the only way to recover is to reboot via the power button.  If I unclick the profile policy, start the application and use nvProfile to change the fan settings no issue.

Do you think I should completely remove all the software upgrades and reload them again?  I have the system OC to 3.0 but it has been like this for several months without issues.

105 Posts

July 21st, 2008 16:00

jef3680:

I had a similar problem.  I had loaded the new software, made my overclock settings in BIOS, and then attempted to load profiles that I created earlier with the new software.  My computer locked up every time I loaded Windows.

This time around I reverted my OC settings in BIOS, did the BIOS update, then put my OC settings back, then loaded and configured the ESA software.  That way there was no mismatch between BIOS and what the ESA software recorded for BIOS.

Which brings up the question, If you have the ESA software loaded and configured and then change something in BIOS directly without using the ESA software, it that going to cause a problem and possibly a lockup?

74 Posts

July 21st, 2008 18:00

Interesting, thanks Devjonfos.  Since I already updated the Bios could I undo the overclock then reload the Bios update, would it overwrite the previous 1.08 Bios and everything might work or do I undo the overclock delete all the ESA software and then reload then rerun the 1.08 Bios update?

513 Posts

July 21st, 2008 19:00

I ahve not been able to overclock about 3.0 (6600 cpu).  Perhaps I am having a similar problem rather than the typical need to experiment to see what overclock works. 

Ugh, as if I need another OC variable.

105 Posts

July 21st, 2008 21:00

@jef3680 wrote:
Interesting, thanks Devjonfos.  Since I already updated the Bios could I undo the overclock then reload the Bios update, would it overwrite the previous 1.08 Bios and everything might work or do I undo the overclock delete all the ESA software and then reload then rerun the 1.08 Bios update?

If you've already done the Bios 1.0.8 and overclocked using the Bios only, then I would just uninstall and reinstall the new ESA Software.

By the by, the "from scratch" steps for me was:

1) Uninstall the previous ESA software

2) Reset the Bios to defaults (no OC)

3) Update the Bios (1.0.7 in my case)

4) Redo the OC settings (about seven, see my post here)

5) Install the new ESA software

6) Flash the new firmware (22/A01)

7) Configure the new ESA software with profiles and policies

No Events found!