Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 26th, 2008 17:00

XPS 630 Fan running at 100%. Need your help.

See my last post on this thread.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 05-08-2008 11:12 AM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

36 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 00:00

MASS CONFUSION for someone who wanted a computer that they could possibly over
clock with no previous experience and now to even try to O.C. Is so scary that I'm
afeard to try to do any thing with my computer because of all the trouble that they
are having. As I have said before I'm a computer Dummy. Dell Dell Dell take my money
and leave my lost. When all things are fixed( if they ever are)I goanna ask that a
Dell tech comes to my home and installs everything that needs to be to fix this
piece of junk (edited for dell)

D"
Message Edited by dwebber on 07-22-2008 08:50 PM
Message Edited by dwebber on 07-22-2008 08:51 PM

105 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 16:00

@foehammer25 wrote:

Do not install the ESA software with the BIOS overclocked.

Thank you foehammer25, that's the clarification we needed! :robotvery-happy:

201 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 23:00

Anytime, my buddy :)

74 Posts

July 27th, 2008 15:00

@jef3680 wrote:

Chris, I have loaded the latest ESA Firmware and System updates (R192445, 176333, 176128, and 192448) and I have tried it with both Bios 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 and I have no problem creating and loading profiles, using nvProfile to change the color of the lights and change the speeds of the various fans from saved profiles.  I still have the known issue of the sliders not staying at the correct fan setting although the fans appear to run at the appropriate RPM.  However, I continue have problems with the computer locking up when I create a profile policy in the NVIDIA Control Panel.  I create the profile policy, reboot the computer than when I open the application either a game or folding at home the computer locks up as soon as you click on the application and the only way to recover is to reboot via the power button.  If I unclick the profile policy, start the application and use nvProfile to change the fan settings no issue.

Do you think I should completely remove all the software upgrades and reload them again?  I have the system OC to 3.0 but it has been like this for several months without issues.

Through the BIOS I reset my Q6600 to stock 2.4 GHZ, removed all of the ESA files and then reloaded the ESA files per the instructions posted.  I am running on BIOS version 1.0.8.  After reloading the software I was missing the Chassis Icon so I removed and reloaded the ESA  Performance File, rebooting after removal and after installation.  The chassis icon and my firmware link reappeared and I was able to create and load profiles.  I then created a profile to increase the CPU, Video, Chassis fans and LEDS created a profile policy and linked it to my folding at home application.  As soon as I start it up the computer locks up with the only way to restart is to hold the power button in.  It appears it had nothing to do with the previous overclock.  I can still load the the profile through nvProfile as before.

475 Posts

July 28th, 2008 04:00

Are you using the default profile to load your performance profile settings?

Sean

74 Posts

July 28th, 2008 14:00

@shdbcamping1 wrote:

Are you using the default profile to load your performance profile settings?

Sean

No, I created and save a new profile called folding.

26 Posts

July 28th, 2008 15:00

I can make changes to the user default profile, but I can't figure out how to create a new profile.  I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate, so maybe that's the problem?  Or I'm just dumb?

74 Posts

July 28th, 2008 17:00

@Salguod3791 wrote:

I can make changes to the user default profile, but I can't figure out how to create a new profile.  I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate, so maybe that's the problem?  Or I'm just dumb?

The way I create a profile is to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and change the fan and light settings as desired under the CPU, Video and Chassis Tabs hit the apply button in the lower right hand corner.  Next go to the  profile button at the top of the page, type in a file name and then hit save.  To load a profile I use the NVIDIA nvProfile, open it and click on the profile you want to use then click on ok.  To close nvProfile use the small x at the top.  You can also use the profile policy but my computer locks up everytime I try to load a profile using this method.

209 Posts

July 29th, 2008 03:00

Hello All,

What's better?  an E8500 or a Q6600?

PS - I returned my xps 630i, what a relief.... It's a shame, nice concept, but man oh man what a ride with

all this nvidia software, etc. i wonder, do you guys really need it (ESA)?

Let me know what you guys think. I'm gonna build my next rig from scratch. wouldn't mind a 630I case. Anyone wanna sell their case?

Thanks,

rraallpphh13

XPS700-720  Ex-630i owner :)

Message Edited by rraallpphh13 on 07-28-2008 11:19 PM

155 Posts

July 29th, 2008 04:00

Well it's been I don't know how long and we are STILL waiting for Dell to fix the issues with our 630s even though "technically" they can't all be fixed.  To add insult to injury Dell seems to think that vaguely, "technically" correct is okay when they advertise and that ambiguity is always in favor of the advertiser.

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
All,

There have been statements made by some users that the XPS 630 650i SLI motherboard does not support ESA. This is not true. We notified Nvidia that their matrix was in error. They have corrected the matrix. That matrix is now in line with their ESA-Certified Products page.

Chris please forward this post to the "powers that be" so that they can see just why it is their arguments of "technically" they are right don't wash.  Advertising is always from the perspective of the consumer not some shady ad exec trying to pull a fast one on people.  The following is snipped from the FCC web page discussing a companies obligations when advertising.

So can we please stop the grade school level "but I'm technically correct" garbage and doublespeak and do something to fix our 630s already, please?!

475 Posts

rraallpphh13,

That would depend on what you're gonna do with the system. I too am in refund process on my 630i. I am choosing to go with the Dell XPS420 and E8500. It is only 2 cores but will get me through with higher processor speed until the newer programs for 4 cores come out. By then, I can get the newer class 775 pin Quad processors for a decent price and just pop out the E8500 and pop in a comparable processor speed Quad. If you do things now that could take advantage of more than 2 cores, the Q6600 would be your better choice.

P.S. I'll never forget that ride either.

Sean

51 Posts

Holy sweet post, Drange!! Is there NO WAY at all to pass these Dell minions (Customer service lackies) and get to someone who can speak english? This really is getting old of Dells lack of interest in their customers.

July 29th, 2008 09:00

Agreed.  Everytime you ask for a supervisor they repeatedly ignore you and try to fix the problem themselves with their script.

And Drange. I like number 20.  Wasnt that Chris_M's reason for the PCI-X "problem"?

Message Edited by KryttosArcadia on 07-29-2008 07:05 AM

30 Posts

July 29th, 2008 16:00

How can I get a refund on my 630i? I'm out of the 21 day period cause I've been waiting for fixes that STILL have not happened (and am worried will never happen or fully fix my brand new machine). I didn't return it initially cause I was hopeful this would get worked out in a reasonable amount of time. It's not happening. Now, I just want to return it and get my money back. Is Dell going to allow this considering the machine still does not work the way it's supposed to? I just can't wait anymore. I just want my money back.

30 Posts

July 29th, 2008 16:00

Two suggestions:

1. Call and tell Dell you want to return the unit because the issues haven't been addressed.  If that doesn't work then...
  2. ... PM Chris M. and ask for help.
No Events found!