This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Post the following -
* Is windows indexing turned off (Y/N)
* What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

May 16th, 2008 22:00

@djcypher wrote:

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
All,

* Power off the PC
* Unplug the PC power cord
* Open the case cover
* Disconnect the power supply cord going into the Master I/O board
* Reconnect the PC power cord
* Power the PC on
* Does HDD LED blink all the time?
* Power the PC off
* Unplug the PC power cord
* Reconnect all of the Master I/O cabling
* Close it up and use as normal

Is this an absolute fix or are we becoming a Dell testing ground again for the faulty I/O board?
Not a fix for me -after following the above steps, yes, it still blinks all the time...:smileysad:

201 Posts

May 16th, 2008 22:00

Obviously its not a fix.  An engineer wants to know if its the MIO.  Which of course it is.  Why doesn't Dell just give those of us with problems a new MIO board?  I called- no dice...I talked on LIVECHAT- no way.  They will not do it without trying hours of other "tests" (such as the one asked for here) and re-formats.  This is my 2nd Dell computer.  Loved them before...HATE DELL NOW.  Will never buy another.

165 Posts

May 17th, 2008 00:00

I imagine this effects all master I/O boards in all XPS 630s. I pray they didn't use the same or similar board in the 730 or there are about to be a whole lot more posts on this.

Think systematically and logically.

a.) ALL XPS630 users have curious HDD light behavior. HDD light interfaces with the Master I/O board.

b.) No user to my knowledge has fully adjustable use of their fans AND LED lights, without the 100% fan problem. These are all functions of the Master I/O board. What confuses me is my lights seem to behave differently every time I do it, theres no consistancy and in theory when a computer does something it should do it the same every time. When that doesnt happen that immiediately suggests a fault, bad design or both.

Unlike some members I'm not after a witch hunt here, I just want it fixed asap and am doing everything I can to this end, as are a small group over at the rebel forums. But I must admit, so far the only progress made seems to be off the investigative backs of users. Thoughts?

190 Posts

May 17th, 2008 00:00

Kesuke,

I totally agree.  Frustrated users are the ones doing research, trying to find a fix, and help other 630 owners and themselves.  It would be nice the company that made the faulty I/O board would do the same.

May 18th, 2008 00:00

I just received my Black XPS630 machine with XP Pro, E8500, 4Gigs of Ram and 500G HD about 1 week ago. My only addition is a second 1T HD. Like everyone else here I had the blinking HD (Disk) Light.

I observed that the light blinks for both Hard Drive and DVD/CD activity. I did some googling and found that this is a problem pointing to the "AutoRun" feature with the DVD/CD drives. I found this discussion thread suggesting to disabled Autorun via the registry. After a Reboot my light has stopped blinking other than when the drives are being accessed. http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1457744&page=2#

This may not be the perfect solution but it's a fix.

Steven

12 Posts

May 18th, 2008 10:00

This has stopped my Hd light from blinking all the time...thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 18th, 2008 12:00

All,

Try optonline2001s suggestion -
* Click Start- Run
* Type regedit
* Click OK
* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom
* Double click on AutoRun
* Change the value from 1 to 0
* Click OK
* Click File- Exit
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

Does the HDD LED still flash continuously?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 05-18-2008 08:03 AM

201 Posts

May 18th, 2008 13:00

Nope.  Still blinking.

74 Posts

May 18th, 2008 16:00

No effect the light is still blinking.

190 Posts

May 18th, 2008 16:00

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
All,

Try optonline2001s suggestion -
* Click Start- Run
* Type regedit
* Click OK
* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CdRom
* Double click on AutoRun
* Change the value from 1 to 0
* Click OK
* Click File- Exit
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

Does the HDD LED still flash continuously?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 05-18-2008 08:03 AM

So basically this is confirmation that this is NOT NORMAL and should be remedied by Dell.  Along with the master i/o board, the non-existant Light FX 2.0, ESA compatibility, and whatever else is going to melt, crash, explode, or otherwise function improperly on the 630i.

I suppose asking when this will all be remedied is just a silly question from an insignifigant CUSTOMER.

22 Posts

May 18th, 2008 18:00

your right it is a silly question

1 Message

May 18th, 2008 19:00

Edited the registery and hard drive light now works only when hard drive is accessed. Thanks for the tip!!

11 Posts

May 18th, 2008 20:00

This worked for me. Thanks Chris, guys.

Blinking only when legitimate activity - although it goes on for a long time after rebooting.

I'll be interested whether this turns out to be a temporary or permanent solution.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2008 20:00

Changing AutoRun to 0 stopped the regular (~1/s) flashing of the HD activity LED on my XPS 630 (it still flashes from time to time, but I think that can be correlated with genuine read/write activity of one or other background process on my machine).

But of course this is not a satisfactory solution, it merely stops incorrect behaviour of something within the PC by cripling a very useful feature that is intrinsic to the OS.

I prefer to have Autorun available on my DVD drives and put up with the blinking light.

So I hope that Dell will not think that the probhlem is solved. This apparent workaround merely may help in pinpointing the underlying cause for the fault in the PC. That fault must still be remedied.

An afterthought: both my DVD drives and hard drives are SATA. I wonder if anyone with only IDE DVD drives but SATA hard drives has the blinking light?  

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 05-18-2008 10:42 PM

165 Posts

May 18th, 2008 22:00

Can I just point out this fix is like going to the doctors with a strained ankle, and having your leg amputated... yeah it fixed the problem but.... hardly an ideal solution. Autorun is an intrinsically important feature of the OS to me.
No Events found!