This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 15th, 2008 21:00

XPS 630 HDD LED blinking all the time

Post the following -
* Is windows indexing turned off (Y/N)
* What other troubleshooting have you tried?

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

190 Posts

May 18th, 2008 23:00

Kesuke,

Same here.  I thought about trying and seeing if it worked, but decided against it since....well, Autorun is something that I don't want to shut off.  

You know.  If you shut off your computer the light stops blinking too.  :smileywink:

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

May 18th, 2008 23:00

Agreed, but it did resolve it....:smileysurprised:

74 Posts

May 19th, 2008 14:00

I tried Chris's solution again turning off the autorun.  Same results as the first time I tried it. Initially the light stopped blinking but after approximately 7 minutes it started blinking again at the same rate. 

John

11 Posts

May 19th, 2008 17:00

Mines blinking again. it's like morse code - a regular sequence of flashes that doesnt end.

201 Posts

May 19th, 2008 23:00

"Why doesn't Dell just give those of us with problems a new MIO board?
* We do not have one to give."

hehe...buy them?  Or even better, a MB that really supports ESA?  Like perhaps a 680i?  There are no stupid, jury rigged, MIO boards necessary for the 680i.

AND..If you do not have MIO boards, then why did you suggest that we call customer support and ask for them to send us one?

I am glad to hear that the engineers are not just sitting around hoping we will go away though.

Note: Every time I turn my computer off, all the problems seem to go away.  Permanent fix?

44 Posts

When you say dell is working on the issues, does that mean that they are working on HDD light, Fans, lights, lightfx 2.0 and everything else that is happening?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

All,

* I am sending this stuff up the line as soon as I get it. The engineers are working all of the issues. They are not just sitting around hoping you will go away.

Why doesn't Dell just give those of us with problems a new MIO board?
* We do not have one to give.

105 Posts

May 20th, 2008 05:00

@foehammer25 wrote:

"Why doesn't Dell just give those of us with problems a new MIO board?
* We do not have one to give."

AND..If you do not have MIO boards, then why did you suggest that we call customer support and ask for them to send us one?

They need to save them for the builds they're sending out to new customers!

65 Posts

May 20th, 2008 07:00

I'm also having the hard drive problem.  Because my pc is set on a wooden shelf in a desk on a wooden floor, I can easily hear HDD activity and I can confirm that the flashing light is registering HDD activity.  I'm beginning to wonder if the European 7 day return for a refund counts with Dell because I might just do that if it does.

65 Posts

May 20th, 2008 12:00

Is it possible to turn windows indexing off in Vista Home 32 bit and if so How?  Forget my last post about 7 day returns because with Dell theres a price to pay regarding carriage etc. Anyway if Dell eventually sort out the MIO problems properly it wont be a bad machine.

15 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 16:00

Doesn't optonline2001/Chris's guidance to turn off indexing apply to the Vista Home Premium 32 bit as well?  I tried it but it didn't work for me.  Still get the heartbeat, so I switched it back and am waiting (probably in vain) for a permanent fix.

Will this blinking light kill my hard drive?

1 Rookie

• 

51 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 16:00

@Ragman88 wrote:

Doesn't optonline2001/Chris's guidance to turn off indexing apply to the Vista Home Premium 32 bit as well?  I tried it but it didn't work for me.  Still get the heartbeat, so I switched it back and am waiting (probably in vain) for a permanent fix.

Will this blinking light kill my hard drive?

It'll probably only wear out the light...but not your hard drive...

30 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 21:00

Has any progress been made on this? I did the temp fix provided by Chris but it didn't change anything on my system. I'm not so worried about a light that flashes too much. But, if this is wearing out my hard drives prematurely I'm concerned. If the latter is the case, I really hope that Dell will allow some sort of harddrive/light exchange if these components fail prematurely. Maybe the extended warranty will cover that scenario...??

190 Posts

May 23rd, 2008 00:00

All,

If you turn off indexing and autoplay, and your drive light still flashes, most likely your drive is being accessed.   You can download the apps filemon and diskmon here:   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046.aspx   This will show you what is accessing your drive.   Watch what is being displayed on the screen and keep your eye on the HDD light.  You'll notice it flashing when the drive is being read or written to.

The main issue here is even if you are sure you drive is not being accessed, you'd have to unistall autoplay to make the light stop blinking thanks to the infamous and non compatible master I/O board or the software related to it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2008 11:00

djcypher,

Good idea.
No Events found!