Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2008 19:00

XPS 630 Issue - Wacky Shutdown, Sleep, Logoff, Switch User

Ok so this is one I haven't heard about.  From day 1, I haven't been able to use Sleep, Logoff, or Switch User.  All 3 actions do exactly the same - screen goes blank and stays blank. However, the power light stays on as normal! (white as normal)  Moving the mouse or hitting keyboard does nothing.  Only way to get the PC to work again is to hold down the power button until reset.

Recently, a similar thing has been happening when I shut down.  The PC appears to be shut down - but the power light is still on.  It boots up upon hitting the power button but says "Cant POST" and I have to hit F1 to proceed or F2 to enter setup.

Any ideas?  Comp works fine but this is obviously a pain, as is the inability to switch between mine and my wife's accounts.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 16th, 2008 19:00

This is an operating system problem and since you don't mention which one you have, we can't answer accurately. For instance, Vista does not shutdown by using the Shutdown button. It just Sleeps and screen goes black. (dumb setting IMO) That's the default. You need to change it in advanced Power Settings. If you do have Vista, check all the power settings in your scheme for a possible solution. Tip--to wake a hybrid sleeping computer just press the button quickly--don't hold it down--and that is supposed to wake it.

121 Posts

October 17th, 2008 00:00

I agree with that.... please post what Operating system you have so we can provide the proper troubleshooting... but if you know how, just go to your power option settings...

75 Posts

October 17th, 2008 13:00

Thanks, I'm using Vista 32.  I'll check out the power options.

No Events found!