Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2010 20:00

XPS 630 - NVIDIA 9800

Hello

I need help PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Dell XPS 630 that i bought directly from Dell, it has a NVIDIA 9800 graphics card in it. My problem is that when i turn on the computer 70% of the time i get red solid lines up and down the screen and then if windows does decide to run the screen is covered with weird colours, green specs and such. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and have they found a fix for it. I have read on the internet that this problem could be caused by the graphics card overheating and that this is a common problem with the NVIDIA 9800, a sort of design flaw or some such. I'm not technically minded but i would appreciate some help in bringing my graphics card back to good health again.

THANKS for reading and i await a any replies.

1 Message

October 14th, 2010 00:00

Hi Man...

Like Bill Clinton would say "I feel your pain".  This could be the result of a number of things (or combination thereof):

(1) Overclocking

(2) Bad graphics card

(3) Failing display

(4) DVI (i.e. video) connection failing

Steps:

(1) Try your display on another computer. See if it functions normally. If not, then your display has bad pixels. This isn't unheard of. You'll need a new display. If the display is okay, then move on.

(2) Enter the BIOS setup and note the current settings. Then, set the BIOS to its defaults, and only changing what you need (i.e. setting a RAID 0 array, disabling on-board audio, etc.) See if this helps. If not, then move on.

(3) Use nVidia's driver software installation to ensure the default frequencies (clock speeds) are being used for the GPU and memory on your graphics card. Set default clocks. Shut down computer. Wait 1 minute and then reboot. See if this helps. If not, then move on.

(3) Go to your local computer store and buy the least expensive new graphics card you can find. Swap out graphics cards. See if this helps. If it does, then your 9800 is most likely shot. If you're still having problems, move on.

(4) If you are still having intermittent problems, then try a new display (borrow one from a friend?). Sometimes the DVI (video) connectors on displays can get burned out. I don't know why it happens, but I've seen it. Usually a display in this case will just stop working. If your display has both a DVI connector and a VGA connector, try using a DVI to VGA adapter with your display and connect to the VGA input and see if that fixes the problem.

(5) If none of these steps help, then I wouldn't know what else to suggest. Good luck and let us know how it goes. *Sigh* Computers were suppose to be time savers. Perhaps they are but they seem to be half timesavers and half time sinks. Or something like that. Good luck.

Adam

37 Posts

October 30th, 2010 04:00

Thanks for your reply, it does seem as if my g-card is finally dead , so ive decided in time to buy a new Nvidia Geforce GTX 480 to replace it , i just hope it works .

Its nice to get a well considered and detailed reply Thank You .

No Events found!