Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 18th, 2008 18:00

XPS 630 Power/HDD white LED

Is there any way to change these short of cracking open the case?  I think it's great that you can use the Nvidia panel to adjust the various lighting zones on the machine, but there's no option on the panel to turn these two WAY TOO BRIGHT lights down (especially noticible in a dim room).  Also, the HDD led is flashing ALL THE TIME.  Is that because I have a raid-1 setup?  Indexing on Win XP is disabled and the light literally never stops flashing (it's not a steady flash, but a series of flashes in different patterns).

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

gaijin4life,

No and no.

21 Posts

If the HDD light isn't flashing because of the RAID-1 setup, what could be causing it to show so much activity?  It's driving me crazy.

21 Posts

Is there a way for you to ask your tech end why this is, then?  There's no reason I can think of why the HDD access light should be flashing non-stop.  Is it the NVidia performance drivers?  Something else?  This is the first PC I've ever had in 20+ years that's done this.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

gaijin4life,

Mine flashes all the time. I do not have raid. No idea. Honestly, never noticed it.

21 Posts

April 18th, 2008 19:00

Great theory, but I have XP Pro and I have disabled the indexing service completely from the control panel.  It's not on manual, it's set to disabled.  I thought this was the case, so disabling indexing is the first thing I did. 

It still may be the RAID-1 with the Nvidia BIOS, though because perhaps Chris has indexing ON and in his case the flashing is indexing and in my case (indexing disabled) it's RAID.

Still, I'd like to know what's causing it and why.  It seems like unnecessarily excessive access of the HDD.

16 Posts

If your computer is very new and you are running Vista, plus you only have it on a couple hours a day then turn it off, it might be Vista doing indexing. I think the indexing task on Vista is pretty intensive and it can take a while for it to build. Just one idea.

14.4K Posts

I would back the indexing theory..

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

gaijin4life,

Just sent the email.

190 Posts

April 18th, 2008 22:00

Indexing may not be off.  I had trouble disabling mine on XP. Check to see if it's still running in the process list. Often times it will automatically resume when you reboot.

This is how to make sure it's disabled...

>Control Panel

>Administrative Tools

>Services

>Scroll down to Indexing Service

>Double click in it

>Under "startup type" choose Disable

>Apply

>Restart

It should be truly disabled that way. 

21 Posts

April 18th, 2008 23:00

That's exactly what I had already done. 

The mystery of the hdd activity remains...

14 Posts

April 19th, 2008 02:00

Gaijin, I'm getting the same problem with Win XP Pro. HDD's spin constantly and I'm pretty sure it's flashing as the disk rotates inside the case to indicate activity. When its under heavy load it'll spin faster to output more data and thus flash more, but when it's inactive it is STILL spinning. I'm sure they didn't intentionally build it like this.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 19th, 2008 03:00

All,

RAID 1 will poll the drive to make sure the bits are equal, just not sure how often.

21 Posts

What concerns me (aside from the annoying light flashing at night) is the unnecessary wear and tear from the constant polling or writing or whatever is going on.  I disabled processes one by one tonight and it remained, so I'm pretty sure the accesses are the result of the Nvidia drivers for the SATA (yes, I also tried it with SMART polling disabled, and the flashing remained).  I plan to open a trouble ticket with "Premuim XPS care" and see if I can't test how "premium" it is, hopefully getting to the bottom of this and prompt a driver change.

Oh, and BTW, I put a clump of 5 or 6 post-its over it and it tones it down for the present.  Less permanent than a sharpie... :)

Message Edited by gaijin4life on 04-18-2008 11:51 PM

48 Posts

This seems to be a very common problem.  I also have all indexing ect disabled and at night my computer room looks like the local club.  Nothing a black sharpie couldn't tone down. :smileywink:

272 Posts

April 19th, 2008 04:00

ChrisM-

RAID 1

For Highest performance, the controller must be able to perform two concurrent separate Reads per mirrored pair or two duplicate Writes per mirrored pair.

RAID Level 1 requires a minimum of 2 drives to implement

Characteristics and Advantages

• One Write or two Reads possible per mirrored pair
  • Twice the Read transaction rate of single disks, same Write transaction rate as single disks
  • 100% redundancy of data means no rebuild is necessary in case of a disk failure, just a copy to the replacement disk
  • Transfer rate per block is equal to that of a single disk
  • Under certain circumstances, RAID 1 can sustain multiple simultaneous drive failures
  • Simplest RAID storage subsystem design

Disadvantages

• Highest disk overhead of all RAID types (100%) - inefficient
  • Typically the RAID function is done by system software, loading the CPU/Server and possibly degrading throughput at high activity levels. Hardware implementation is strongly recommended
  • May not support hot swap of failed disk when implemented in "software
No Events found!