Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

April 18th, 2008 18:00

XPS 630 Power/HDD white LED

Is there any way to change these short of cracking open the case?  I think it's great that you can use the Nvidia panel to adjust the various lighting zones on the machine, but there's no option on the panel to turn these two WAY TOO BRIGHT lights down (especially noticible in a dim room).  Also, the HDD led is flashing ALL THE TIME.  Is that because I have a raid-1 setup?  Indexing on Win XP is disabled and the light literally never stops flashing (it's not a steady flash, but a series of flashes in different patterns).

14 Posts

April 19th, 2008 04:00

But it still does it even if you don't have a RAID rig

14 Posts

How do you disable indexing on XP Pro? I'll give it a shot and tell you if it stops flashing.

21 Posts

Okaaaay...then why did you say it *wasn't* due to the RAID 1 in your first response where I asked if it was?

I've had other machines with RAID and don't recall constant flashing when the indexing was disabled.  If it IS a RAID thing, it seems like something NVIDIA could address...

And didn't someone else with indexing disabled and NO raid still have this problem?

Message Edited by gaijin4life on 04-19-2008 12:04 AM

105 Posts

I've noticed the same flashing. But since my XPS 630 is on the floor it really doesn't bother me. I only notice it when I've left my computer on and I come back into the room to access it. But gaijin4life raises a good point about unnecessary wear and tear. If it has something do with RAID 1 polling, you'd think if the system is idle, it wouldn't need to poll every second.

It reminds me of a Doctor Who episode where a human heart from an unlucky crew member is wired into a space ship by androids because they don't have the spare parts. So maybe it's the heart beat of our XPS 630's!

:smileywink:

P.S. The new Doctor Who series, season 2, The Girl in the Fireplace

Message Edited by devjonfos on 04-18-2008 10:52 PM

21 Posts

Message 10 in this thread sums up how to do it.  Do a reboot afterwards just to be sure.

14 Posts

Okay no luck, disabled indexing and restarted, and I'm still getting the HDD flashing.

14 Posts

April 19th, 2008 05:00

Lol @ the Doctor Who analogy.

Nah I think it's clear that it isn't a RAID issue. It'd more likely be something to do with the motherboard. By the way people should understand that in most desktops the disks in a hard disk drive spin constantly, even when not in use (unless its in hibernation where disk use is disabled). Wear and tear won't be an issue. I still have a 20gb IDE hard drive from 1999 or 2000 and it still runs perfectly.

Message Edited by willko on 04-19-2008 01:11 AM

21 Posts

April 19th, 2008 07:00

It's not the spinning that concerns me (all platter based drives spin until they're powered down!), but the seeking and/or writing, which involves movement of the head mechanism.  And that's the problem - no one seems to know what those flashes mean.  Is it Seeking? Polling? Reading? Writing?  Hopefully a trouble ticket will lead to some answers...
No Events found!