Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2008 15:00

XPS 630 Proposed Configuration

I'm purchasing another Dell desktop (currently have XPS m1210 laptop, and an old Inspiron desktop which will be replaced).  I do some video editing, watch DVD's, lots of word processing, photo editing, music storage and listening, web research.  I would like the computer to be super fast, and to be able to run several programs simultaneously without speed/quality degradation.  Have I accomplished those objectives with this configuration?  If not, what would help?  Thanks for any suggestions.....

XPS630

Intel Core 2 Q9450 (12MB, 2.66 GHz, 1333 FSB)

Windows Vista Ultimate Bonus

2GB dual channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz

300 GB WD Velociraptor 10K RPM SATA 3.0 Gb - 16MB Cache

Blu Ray Disc Burner

24" Ultra Sharp 2408 WFP Monitor

nVidia GEForce 880

Integrated 7.1 audio

Logitech Z-2300 speakers

D-Link DIR655 Extreme wireless router

114 Posts

August 6th, 2008 17:00

I wouldn´t buy a 630. I´ll guess you´ve heard of all the problems about the machine and untill these are solved the 630 is a bad computer. The thing  is that Dell refuses to admit that there´s a problem so there may never be any solution.

87 Posts

August 6th, 2008 18:00

Yes there are problems with it (i have not experienced them)  but if you do go ahead i would get 4 gig of ram unless you are buying the ram after getting it.

25 Posts

August 7th, 2008 11:00

I read the forum every morning, and have to say that I have not experienced any major problems with my system since I purchased it.  The only issue I had was an older game that had to be loaded in safe mode rather than desktop (see "autorun" issue in the forum), and that was really the only incident...  I would go with "doughy's" suggestion on the ram memory - the more the better; along with purchasing speakers somewhere else...  You can get a better bargain for speakers just about anywhere...

453 Posts

August 7th, 2008 13:00

The XPS 630 is NOT a bad computer. I have really enjoyed using mine. There were those problems with the lights which a new firmware update from Dell solved and the fact that the PCI-e slots only run at x8 vs. x16. These are not problems that would cause me to think it is a bad computer. In fact, for the money it's hard to beat the 630. I think you'll be happy if you buy it. Try to get the best CPU you can and order the least amount of memory. You can go to Newegg.com and get your memory a lot cheaper!

114 Posts

August 7th, 2008 16:00

How can you say that the 630 isn´t a bad computer? With all these fauly machines all around the world you´re able to say that the 630 isn´t a bad computer JUST because you own havn´t been faulty?

Maybe you just havn´t checked your machine enough? But if you say that your machine doesn´t have any of all the 630 problems there are two options:
1. You have a 630 that´s really "one of a kind"

2. You doesn´t noticing them.

Haha a fully functional XPS630i, what´s next? Maybe Dell will pick up aliens signals with the 630?

But then it´s probably just another X-fi screech of death:smileyvery-happy:

513 Posts

August 7th, 2008 17:00

@Rquired wrote:

1. You have a 630 that´s really "one of a kind"

2. You doesn´t noticing them.

The vast majority of 630s work perfectly for their users.  Dell sells tens of thousands of each computer type and configuration.  There are relatively few having significant problems.  Most people will be very happy with a 630.

The problems that those few have experienced are absolutely legitimate and frustrating however. 

Thus, it is good for a potential buyer to know of the problems some have had, to know that the LEDs will not dance in different colors and that the PICx16 slots are limited to x8 lanes.  But these issues shouuld also be kept in perspective.

No Events found!