Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2009 17:00

XPS 630i - 10/100/1000 Gigabit does not work? - Chris_M please read

The 630i is supposed to come with an integrated 10/100/1000 ethernet port.  I only have a router that supports 100 mbps so I can't test this myself.  However it is my understanding from posts on another site that the gigabit feature does not work if you connect the computer to a gigabit router or switch.  The max it will connect at is 100 mbps.  Can any users who have gigabit equipment confirm or deny this?

Chris_M, if this turns out to be true, can you check with engineering how this problem could be rectified.  Maybe a BIOS or driver update.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 23rd, 2009 12:00

Zoder,

You still have to an ISP and trace points that supports gigabit. If the ISP only supports 100mbps, it doesn't matter what hardware your using.

46 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 14:00

Zoder,

You still have to an ISP and trace points that supports gigabit. If the ISP only supports 100mbps, it doesn't matter what hardware your using.

These posters said that it was their local LAN equipment not internet connectivity.  So for example computers connected to eachother through a switch.  With the integrated card their LAN woul not connect over 100 mbps.  When they added a 3rd party PCI gigabit card to the computer, their LAN took advantage of the full speed and connected at 1 gigabit.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 24th, 2009 09:00

Just got this from the lab, "1Gb is only available if you do auto-negotiate.".

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 24th, 2009 10:00

So, is this true?

If set to auto-negotiate and every hub, switch, router in the network is Gb, than it should connect at Gb. But, if you have one in there that runs at 100 or 10, it will clock down?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

June 24th, 2009 10:00

To add to Chris_M, a proper Gbit NIC doesn't even have an option to hard-set Gbit. It may have hardcode options for 10 half duplex, 10 full duplex, 100 half duplex, 100 full duplex and auto-negotiate. The Broadcom and Intel NICs I see daily seem to only have those options.

46 Posts

June 24th, 2009 18:00

Thanks Chris.

I'll post this info on the other site and report back the findings,

1 Message

July 21st, 2009 13:00

Chris-

I started this issue on another site dedicated to the 630i  http://my630i.com/nic-t1519.html

I dont know if your still looking into this issue or not but thought i would chime in about this. A little about my home network;

Netgear FVS114 firewalled router, Netgear FS726T smart switch, Netgear  FSM726 Smart Switch, Netgear wgr614v8 and v7 wireless routers. Zoom 4400 access point. Several trendnet wired cameras. I also work for my ISP doing tech support. I also have 2 cable modems and 1 cable modem with voip for testing

Now also hooked to a gig port is my server that hosts ftp on my network , runs the security video and so forth. It is connected fine at 1 gig. The port is set to autonegotiate and works perfectly. I have called into Dell tech support and have tried a few cat5 cables and cat6 cables, and uninstalled, reinstalled drivers. The CSRep was good at doing his job and only last resort was to do a service call to replace the motherboard. After having the technician replace the motherboard same issue. Also conected my server with gig nic to the other gig connection on the switch and it works perfect. Even the Dell tech also check the onboard nics on the 2nd motherboard and thier is no option for gig connection. I again contacted the Dell techsupport becouse the S.C tech said that is what i would have to do becouse thier wasnt anything else he could do about this. The customer service person i spoke to (not the original tech doing troubleshooting) was way to fast in saying that the pc is under the return warrenty and to return it. I explained to that person that this was not going to be a option i was even going to consider becouse of the issue being on 2 different motherboards. I again spoke to the original tech support person and came to an agreement to send me a netgear gig ethernet card. After installing this card and also installing the drivers for it it registered at 1gig speed with no issues at all. If you want more info on the pc ill be more then happy to help, or let get what you need for information so you can locate the logs on this case,  but i have also installed a EVGA 780i motherboard and have had no issues with it connecting to my network. Have had PSU issues but thats a different story......

No Events found!