Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2009 19:00

XPS 630i Vista stop code 124

I have a 630i with the soundblaster sound card. While playing world of warcraft and using ventrilio this computer just blue screens giving me error 124. It seemingly happens at random.
This problem has been occuring for months. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it. Driver updates and the like. Going to Dell provided no help with them saying that the only thing it could be is that my sound card isn't supported by world of warcraft. Ususally the problem is pretty infrequent. But today its in the past hour its occurred like every 10 minutes.

Ususally it blue screens and I have to hard boot. But a few times I was able to tab out and check task manager to see audiodg going crazy and using like 1.5gigs of resources.
This is really the only problem I have had with this computer and its really getting on my nerves.

Any help would be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 03:00

I doubt that it's the sound card.  Best suggestion is to post in one of the gaming section forums and let the gamers help you, since it's apparently only related to that one game.  It could be a hardware issue or it could be a game configuration.

27 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 09:00

When I came back on to my desktop after the BSOD the error report said it was sound related.

27 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 11:00

I removed the sound card and now its working. But playing without sound isnt very fun at all. So I still need help.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2009 18:00

I have the Dell xps 630i and play Wow as well.  i loaded Ventrilo to use for wow, but it caused no sound to play on Crysis (wow was fine) regardless of system settings.  An uninstall of Ventrilo solved to problem on the other game, so i dont think it is a wow problem, it seems like a ventrilo compatability issue.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 30th, 2009 04:00

If all other sound is OK, then it's a Ventrillo issue.  Remember, the PC and/or Operating System does not have to be "compatible" with a software product.  The software product (in this case Ventrillo) must be compatible or work with the PC. 

No Events found!