Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2014 19:00

XPS 630i and 8GB of RAM

Hello all, I know I'm digging up some old hardware but its been such a great machine over the years kicking strong. So I recently bought 4x 2GB 800Mhz, 240pin DIMM's to bump up the system from 4GB to 8GB of ram. It is Komputerbay brand ram. I have patiently tested each new DIMM in every memory slot on the system and got positive results. I also tested pairs of DIMMS and gotten DDR vs single to show in the BIOS. Here is my problem. When I load up all the memory I get a strange beep pattern I have yet to find anyone talking about on the few forums I've scoured to include this one. the beep pattern is 1 long and 2 short followed by continuous higher pitched beeps. The higher beeps don't stop, I have to power down the system. I get no video the whole time. I'm running the stock ATI card that came with the system. If I take out one 2GB stick the system boots fine and the BIOS detects 6GB of RAM. I have rotated the sticks to verify there is no bad stick in the bunch. According to the owners manual this system will take 8GB of RAM. Does anyone have any recommendations, (besides by a new system =P)? Appreciate any inputs. Thanks v/r D.

7 Posts

August 31st, 2014 11:00

Just wanted to add that I've upgraded the bios to .13 and there is no change. Ive also removed the video card and get the same beep patterns described above. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks D.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 31st, 2014 15:00

Dell computers are really fussy about memory and that sounds like an off brand--return it. see the reviews for that brand of memory--mostly bad. Check Crucial to see what might be a better fit. Most of us use crucial ram for Dell computers. BTW, 4gb of memory in the old computer is plenty especially if you have 32 bits version of windows.Save your money for a new computer.

1 Message

March 27th, 2016 07:00

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar problem with my Dell XPS 630I. I recently bought GEIL DDR2 dual channel 8 Gb 800MHz Ram. I run WIN 10 pro, 64 bit. Bios version 1.0.13. When I insert all the memory in the 4 slots windows starts normal (no strange beeps)  and when I watch someting like ie on youtube, after a while I got a BSOD: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and sometimes: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. At that time I was running bios version 1.0.5. I reverted back to the original 3 GB of memory (2x 1GB + 2x 512 GB). Now I have upgraded my bios to version 1.0.13 and installed the 8Gb again. Now I get BSOD: SYSTEM SERVICE EXEPTION (KS.SYS). I removed 4 GB of the 8 GB and now everthing seems to work fine. I should have googled before I tried to upgrade my PC but it looks like I am not the only one who thinks this workstation should be upgradeable to 8GB. Does anyone have a solution? Is this problem motherboard related? Or is it Driver related?

FYI, here are all the BSOD's I have seen and it all started when I install the 8Gig:

-Driver IRQL not less or equal
-IRQL not less or equal (HDClass.sys)
-Kmode Exception Not Handled
-Page Fault In Nonpaged Area
-Critical Process Died
-System Service Exception (ks.sys)

With regards,

Peter

No Events found!