Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2012 11:00

XPS 700 memory upgrades

Hey Y'all,

I have an XPS 700 with a Pentium D cpu and Windows 7 Ultimate. Looking to upgrade my RAM.  

Currently i have only one stick with 1G of ram. I had another one but it became broken. 

Looks like i have four slots here, one of which, as previously mentioned, is filled. 

What can i do?  I have read about voltage issues and 5-5-5 firing. Do i need to worry about this or can i just buy some more ram?

Thank you :)

14.4K Posts

January 12th, 2012 15:00

Around here we most commonly recommend Crucial Ram as it is guaranteed to work with Dell systems. Be aware that with a 32 bit OS you can only go with up to 4 gigs of ram. To run more than that(which on a 700 I would not recommend) you would need a 64 bit system

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 22:00

Most "major" brands in my experience work just fine, but Crucial guarantees it, presumably from first-hand testing, giving  you a way "out" should it not work.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2012 22:00

So I ended up being impatient and I ordered 2 G Skill 2GB sticks before I read your reply. Do other brands typically have problems? Or is Crucial just a brand you know works well with dells?

14.4K Posts

January 18th, 2012 04:00

These system are really picky about Ram.  But since you are only going to use just 2 sticks you most likely will not have much of an issue.

No Events found!